Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oT: what can you sue your landlord for ?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

my landlord is threatening to evic us because we dont want to pay rent cause he doesnt want to fix our AC . so we are suffocating of heat with a 20 month old child & im 9 months pregnant. its his responsibilites to fix what ever is wrong or breaks in the apartment. he also has a camera put on the side of building i guess to pretend like it works to scare people or like fake secruity. what bullshit because our apartment has a stair & balacony and we are the only ones that use the stairs because they only lead to our apartment. and somebody freaking robbed our apartment & that stupid camera doesnt work . they stole my 50 inch freaking plasma im ready to kil somebody . they just walked out of my house and nobody saw anything are you kiding me . im so furious and pissed off

pregnancy

babies
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KYLIEAARONMOMMY
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM

You should check the laws in your state. From what I have seen is that a broken a.c is not a reason to withhold rent. According to the law it is not something that is as important like a toilet.

palemoon21
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Unfortunetly you have to pay rent regardless....my landlord is not the best at fixing things either but if something like that was to go wrong in my townhouse, i would keep hassleing her till it was fized OR I would have to report her to the county/city for being a "slumlord".

You can file a complaint at the court house but they are more then likely not going to listen to you if he files first for eviction due to you defaulting on your rent.

doulala
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Quoting palemoon21:

Unfortunetly you have to pay rent regardless....my landlord is not the best at fixing things either but if something like that was to go wrong in my townhouse, i would keep hassleing her till it was fized OR I would have to report her to the county/city for being a "slumlord".

You can file a complaint at the court house but they are more then likely not going to listen to you if he files first for eviction due to you defaulting on your rent.

Yep.

Hurry and pay rent or you're going to look "worse" in their eyes, and could be evicted.  :-(

Thinking about  Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth  !!!

Bren07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM

he can evict you for non payment of rent but he has to go thru the legal channels and that give u 30days to find a new place or fight it..if a judge sees that u have a broken AC with a baby and they refuse to fix it then they will probably not get away with evicting you..i would just threaten with calling ur attorney and see wut that does...also did u file a report with the police for the theft? if not u needed to cuz that is just more proof of ur landlords mistakes (no security)..srry im not much more help..

Tumamita05
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

well i live in miami florida the news said tomarrow it going to 93 n feel like 105 . so the AC is like having water .

Tumamita05
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM

yes we did cause it happened today a few hours ago & and the law here i checked is freakin 3 days eviction he jus has to pay a fee of like 100 bucks total to get us evicted .

Bren07
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM

well u have a choice to get ur selves evicted or pay ur rent and just keep getting after him and contact ur states landlord association wutever and maybe they can help and get things worked out..
here are some links that may help-
http://www.rentlaw.com/eviction.htm

http://www.rentlaw.com/floridarentlaw.htm

http://www.law.cornell.edu/states/florida.html 

Quoting Tumamita05:

yes we did cause it happened today a few hours ago & and the law here i checked is freakin 3 days eviction he jus has to pay a fee of like 100 bucks total to get us evicted .

HI! im a 21yr old disposable diapering, CIO attempting, vaxing (but no flu shot), circ'ing, BFing AND FFing, vaginal and c-section birthing, co-sleeping, SAHM to two BOYS and one on the way. i have been fairly happily married since i was 17 to my high school sweetheart who i met when i was 15. yes i am a "teen mom" but i also graduated high school early. so dont tell me im too young because i will tell you your too old!
SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS, IM NAK ALOT!

palemoon21
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Quoting Tumamita05:

NO...you are mistaken on this...which is a good thing. :) The 3 days is a START of the eviction process.

http://www.articlesbase.com/real-estate-articles/miami-real-estate-eviction-process-601209.html

Personally I think you need to pay the full amount of rent(that was the 3 days is...the amount of time you have to pat the FULL amount of rent due) or you are looking at being homeless right around the time your baby is due. This isn't something to play around with if he is serious on filing an eviction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)