Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Steroids for baby....

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM
  • 6 Replies

What do you know about them?

My doc and I had a long convo today after my Level 2 U/S. They monitored my blood flow to the uterus, and apparently its showing VERY high risk for HELLP Syndrome again (Im not too sure what that means to be honest), but I scored a 3 out of 4.

As most/or a lot of you know, I've had HELLP Syndrome in past pregnancies. She is almost positive we will not get past 34 weeks (still holding out hope, of course). She just wants us to be totally ready for him by then at LEAST. 

We are doing a steroid shot at 29 weeks (we were going to do one at 30 weeks, however I guess it disqualifies me for a "rescue steroid" later). And then do a steroid when we have to deliver the baby, hopefully at least a few hours before.

Im really not too well informed on the steroids. I know they will help out his lungs, but what else is it going to do? Will he put on weight? Can it NEGATIVLY effect him at all?

Any info you know/have, is super helpful. Thanks!!!

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
chell.chell
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM
Bump. Hope you get the info you need!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
palemoon21
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Oh Britt I don't know. :( What are they doing to base this on? I mean...what testing are they doing? If they are going solely on the fact that you had HELLP before, I'm not sure I could even take steroids.  Every pregnancy is different.

I'll try to look into some info for you but at this point I have no idea. *hugs*

By the way, your baby bump is getting SOOOOO cute!! :)

palemoon21
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/471637

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/471637 (risks of steroid use for babies to speed up growth)

abra
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM

I am unfamiliar with that condition, although I was on steroids with my first because my asthma got so bad. My doctor said the worst it would do for the baby is strengthen her lungs faster. I have also heard of women using high doses of cortisteriods to treat severe hyperemesis and no negative fetal side effects have been documented after the first trimester.

Either way, here is a bump for you. Best of luck!

Austinsmommy126
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Not sure.  I had the shots with my first when I went into labor at 32 weeks....he was born at 36 weeks perfectly healthy. 

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:45 AM

I know that the steroids do cause them to gain weight but it isn't healthy weight it is usually easily lost.  My biggest issue with them is that a lot of people have allergic reactions to them and the baby could as well.  I have to go to bed now, but I will look up what I have and post more later. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)