Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if 4 cm is active labor...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

So I went to the doc on Tuesday and he said I am at 3cm maybe a little bit more and 50 effaced. Ive had contractions that are pretty intense and consistent and then just disapear every night since then... So can you be at 4cm and not really be in active labor? How far can I go without actually being in active labor? I feel like I could have labor pains every night forever and not get anywhere...

Pregnancy%20ticker

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sissychristi
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Some women can be dilated to an 8 or 9 and still not go. Others can go while at 0. Everyone is different.

palemoon21
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:55 PM

You can be dialted for a very long time without having consistant contractions that finish dialting you. (that is active labor)

Just because you are dialted to 4cm doesn't really mean anything if you aren't progressing. I think you will be going into labor soon though and you are full term so good luck!!! :)

doulala
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

lol

4cm is not necessarily Active Labor,    ~~it  *can*  be, though.

I encourage you to avoid vaginal exams so you don't put energy (thoughts) into information you can't use (and that can harm you).

What have you been doing lately?
What is life like around you?
How are you taking good care of yourself?

abra
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I was. I was 4cm and fully effaced for 2 months! They finally induced at 43 weeks due to fetal distress. Nothing like feeling like your baby is falling out, huh?

norahsmommy
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I was dialated to 4cm with a 'bulging sac' and about 50% effaced for 2 weeks before I went into labor with my 2nd dd. I went to the doc, the told me that and I went home expecting labor at any moment. But it didn't happen, not one single contraction other than braxton hicks for 2 weeks. 

greenmama77
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM

It's a matter of your body. With my first I was in active labor but only 2cm and had been for a few weeks. With my 2nd, I was like 1-2 cm for a few weeks but when labor began and I went to the hospital, I was already 5cm. With number 3, I was 4cm at my appt that morning, then went into labor that night and when I got to the hospital I was 6cm.

doulala
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM

*I should add that with my pregnancies, I have not have prenatal vaginal exams.

So I don't know what number my cervix was at and when (becuse it doesn't matter, right).

allykins165
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM
I hope I'm that lucky... Like those women who go into labor and have the baby right after getting to the hospital. Pain and I don't go well together and I labor with no meds so I'm praying it will go quickly!

Quoting sissychristi:

Some women can be dilated to an 8 or 9 and still not go. Others can go while at 0. Everyone is different.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marynash88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM

4 cm isnt necessarily active labor, its just a number that the hospital tags if a woman comes in thinking she is in labor. At 4 cm, if you were to walk in a hospital now and say you think you are in labor, they would keep you. Just do lots of walking and I would avoid internal exams since It will cause you more stress than anything. :)

doulala
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Work on coping at home~    there are many things you can do for a comfier (and possibly quicker) natural experience!      :-)

Quoting allykins165:

I hope I'm that lucky... Like those women who go into labor and have the baby right after getting to the hospital. Pain and I don't go well together and I labor with no meds so I'm praying it will go quickly!

Quoting sissychristi:

Faith, Acceptance, Surrender         ~Unknown

Fear can be overcome only by Faith.         ~Dr. Grantly Dick-Read

Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment.            ~I Ching

If I don't know my options, I don't have any.          ~Diana Korte

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)