Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OB not happy about my weight :(

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM
  • 23 Replies

When I found out I was pregnant my weight was 155  well like in most first trimesters I lost some weight I went down to 145. Well by the time I was able to see my OB I had put that weight back on and was back to 155lbs.  Now I am 30 weeks and my weight is 163lbs and he said I've only put on 10lbs total and I need to gain more weight that I am measuring behind a couple of weeks.  Now if I remember correctly for someone over weight before pregnancy they should only put on about 15 to 25lbs so I am heading to what I need to gain plus I haven't hit the end of my pregnancy yet.  He told me I need to eat more but the problem is I'm not really hungry all the time, I eat when I'm hungry and when I get full which is easy I stop.  I'm not gonna eat just to eat I already feel like I am eating all day anyway I snack then eat meals.  Most of my snacks are healthy and the meals are healthy I hardly ever eat anything that is junk.  So should I just eat to eat so I can gain a little more weight or just wait it out and see if I've put on anythign by my next visit.  So far in 3 weeks I haven't even put on a pound. What should I do?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ANandLPsMom
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Honestly, I'm about to deal with the same thing. I was 317.5 at my 9wk visit. Then 306 at my 13wk. Then at 16wks I was 307. Now (got weighed at my reg drs not OBs) I'm 299. Which I know on my 20wk visit (monday) I'll be that or less. I'm never hungry, and I can't eat if I'm not hungry, I just make myself sick. A reese's cup and small yoplait yogurt just filled me up, and will probably be the only thing I eat in 24 hrs. I'm drinking ensure plus to help me stop loosing so fast, but yeah, it's not helping much.

Only plus thing with me is that the baby was at 84% at the ultrasound on 18w5d. I'm waiting for my visit Monday to get yelled at.. Try the Ensure plus drinks? They're 350 calories each (I think), and are supposed to help you "gain or maintain weight". They are full of nutrients. They aren't helping me with my weight much but apparently they are helping baby keep his weight up :)

kittin002002
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:15 AM

What do you eat when you are hungery... if its like celery or carrot sticks then you should add a more calorie filled food into your diet.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:26 AM
Well.. try to eat more carbs. Bagels, pb&j sandiwches, pancakes.

I'm having the opposite problem.. my midwife is less than pleased with my weight gain.. about 10lbs a month since week 24-ish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thefox
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I am 14 weeks I way 162 before I became pregnant i weighed 183... I cant wait  to see my midwife and hear about needing to gain weight because I have been getting dizzy alot and have numb legs alot

abra
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:38 AM

I switched doctors when they told me that. I have hyperemesis, so gaining weight is always a problem in my pregnancies. I loose a ton in the beginning (20lbs in 2 weeks with last baby, 15lbs in 5 weeks with this one) and I have to fight tooth and nail to keep anything down, let alone gain weight.

I eat what sounds good when I am hungry. My body will tell me if I need more and honestly, i trust my body more then I trust my doctor. I try to eat a balanced diet, but it doesn't always happen, and what is the baby really going to gain from empty calories anyways?

With my last pregnancy, I lost 20 and only gained 10 of it back. My baby was born, happy and healthy at 40weeks (naturally) at 7lbs 10oz and 21.5" long. Perfect!

I wouldn't worry about it. Just continue to eat when you are hungry and your doctor can deal. Remember the old days when the doctors only allowed pregnant mothers to gain a max of 15lbs for their pregnancy? What will the fad be next? Gaining 50?!

onlyjamesgirl
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:44 AM

you're just fine. you do NOT need to eat to gain weight. my friend and i were due at the same time. they said she was measuring 2wks ahead and that i was measuring 2wks behind.

when her baby was born he weighed 6lbs 13oz and was 19" long

when my baby was born she weighed 6lbs 11oz and was 19.75"

drs arent always right ; P you're just fine :-)

rileysmommy229
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:29 AM

you are doing fine!! i had only gained 12 at 30 weeks and ended up gaining 27 total..my baby was born 8lbs 3oz at 40 weeks.

sarasloveable
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 7:35 AM
Your fine i gained 8lbs total whole pregnancy i had gained 15 but lost 7 my dr said it was fine that baby would get what she needed. she was 7lbs 11oz
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JHall
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 4:07 PM

OK cool  thanks ladies.  Each pregnancy I gain less and less.  My first I packed on about 60+lbs with my second I only put on about 20lbs and so far now only 10lbs. He just made me worry saying the baby was under stress casue I wasn't providing enough cals but really I eat what I want when I feel like eating.  I try not to eat junk  but gave in last night on some ice cream :)  He's just gonna have to deal with it DH and my mom think it is fine cause I do eat.  LOL  my B day was may 24th and my mom sent a cake home with me I finished it in a week.  I just think it's my body way of saying you've gained enough for now.

jimmysbarbiedol
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I gained different amounts with each baby. My first was 25lbs 2nd was 65lbs 3rd was 75lbs the 4th was 100 and the 5 was 105. My midwife was happy with whatever I gained. My friend only gained 15lbs with her first and  20 with # 2. I think as long as the baby is growing and doing well then your body is doing what it was ment to do. An congrats on a new little angel.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)