Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about convertible carseats

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

Sorry i dont know where else to post this question.

I just bought a Safety 1st convertible carseat and its really heavy. My question is, am i supposed to take the carseat out of my car when i go places or do i just take the baby out?? Sorry if ths is a stupid question but its not like a regular infant carseat. its a ginormous thing! how do you use ur convertible carseat (if you already have one with older kids)

Ameira Michelle Nolan
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywifenmom09
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM

You just take the baby out... the only carseat you take out of the car is an infant carrier....

Now I have taken my convertibles out with the kids in them when the kids are sleeping... but carrying a 28 pound toddler and a 15 pound infant is a royal pain LOL

mommy1326
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:05 PM

A convertable seat stays in your car. I wear my babies so I put them right into a carrier to carry them around. My older ones I keep a light weight stroller in my truck for to go places.

And it is not a stupid question. I would rather you ask then haul that thing around everywhere.

Christinas1st
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Quoting mommy1326:

A convertable seat stays in your car. I wear my babies so I put them right into a carrier to carry them around. My older ones I keep a light weight stroller in my truck for to go places.

And it is not a stupid question. I would rather you ask then haul that thing around everywhere.

Oh ok! I do have a carrier for her. Me and my mom were gonna do it the expensive way and buy another car seat lol. Thank you.

Ameira Michelle Nolan

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:20 PM

What car seat do you have?

An infant seat is able to be taken out of the car with the child still in it.  The infant seats have a handle that you can carry the seat!

A convertible seat stays installed in the car so you take the baby out of the seat.

Christinas1st
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

An infant seat is able to be taken out of the car with the child still in it.  The infant seats have a handle that you can carry the seat!

A convertible seat stays installed in the car so you take the baby out of the seat.

Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat. But i have sling or whatever you call them to carry her in.  

Ameira Michelle Nolan

kimikylemama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM

You just leave it installed in the car.  An infant seat has a detable base so you can take the carrier part of the carseat and leave the base in the car.  What convertible carseat is it?  Because not all convertible carseats fit newborns properly.  The harness slots are too high and with rear facing the harness has to be threaded through the slot below thier shoulders.

kimikylemama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Quoting Christinas1st:

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Seat. But i have sling or whatever you call them to carry her in.  

That one is one that does not fit a newborn.  The only convertible carseats that fit newborns are graco myride 65, cosco scenera, radian, and truefit.  All these carseats have lower harness slots so will work for a newborn. 

Randi02
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:51 PM

A Safety 1st convertible?

Yes, you take the baby out every time. It CANNOT be used for a newborn though.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

La-Belle-Vie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Christinas1st:

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

This seat will not fit a newborn.  The lowest harness height slot will be above baby's shoulders.  When rear facing the harness needs to be coming from behind or just AT the shoulders of baby NOT above.  This seat just does not fit a newborn well. 

The seat if very misleading especially for first time moms ;)  It says this will be the ONLY seat you need but that in fact it will not.  You will need a seat to fit a newborn PLUS this seat has a short shell so more than likely a child will outgrow the harness BEFORE they are ready to be out of a 5 point harness.  Also this seat (in booster mode) is on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safetys list for boosters not reccomended so you will need to buy a booster as well. 

I would recommend taking the seat back and getting another one as this is not the best seat.  NOW for anyone reading this and has this seat I am not saying it is a bad seat, just not one I would buy and if I could I would take it back.

Op, if you are looking for a convertible then I would look into a Graco MyRide 65 or a First Years True Fit (they will fit newborns) or if you are on a budget a Cosco Scenera. 

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM
If it's convertible, just leave in the car and take baby out..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)