Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Canned food is risky for pregnant women?!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

Canned food is risky for pregnant women. BPA is the reason.

read more here!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-05-19-cans19_ST_N.htm

Report: BPA makes canned food risky for pregnant women
E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this
Most food cans use lining with the chemical bisphenol A. "Fresh fruits and vegetables may be more expensive, but I believe that the risk is too high not to spend the extra. The entire life of that individual may be altered by a few months of BPA exposure in pregnancy," says obstetrician Hugh Taylor who wasn't involved in the report but advises pregnant patients to avoid canned foods.
Enlarge image Enlarge By Tim Loehrke, USA TODAY
Most food cans use lining with the chemical bisphenol A. "Fresh fruits and vegetables may be more expensive, but I believe that the risk is too high not to spend the extra. The entire life of that individual may be altered by a few months of BPA exposure in pregnancy," says obstetrician Hugh Taylor who wasn't involved in the report but advises pregnant patients to avoid canned foods.

By Liz Szabo, USA TODAY
Pregnant women should limit their intake of canned foods and drinks, according to a report that finds 92% of food from metal cans is contaminated with an estrogen-like chemical called BPA, or bisphenol A.

The chemical is used in countless products, from plastic bottles and paper receipts to the linings of metal cans. The National Toxicology Program has said it has "some concern" that BPA alters development of the brain, behavior and the prostate gland in children, before and after birth.

Researchers found that BPA levels vary dramatically even between cans of the same product, according to the study, released Tuesday by the National Workgroup for Safe Markets, a coalition of 19 environmental groups. For example, one can of Del Monte French Style Green Beans had 36 micrograms of BPA per serving, while another can of the same product had 138 micrograms per serving - a level that has been linked to changes in prostate cells and increased aggression in animals.

The report calls on Congress to ban BPA in food and drink containers, noting that companies such as Eden Foods already sell vegetables in BPA-free cans; Muir Glenn also plans to begin packaging tomatoes in BPA-free cans this year. Canada and Denmark restrict the use of BPA in certain children's products, as do five U.S. states, three counties in New York and the city of Chicago, the report says.

The Grocery Manufacturers Association says the report ignores evidence showing BPA is safe.

And there is "no replacement for BPA that will work across the board for all foods," the association's Robert Brackett said in a statement. "The performance of any technology that could impact the safety of food or beverages must be proven over the entire shelf life of the product before it can be used."

Obstetrician Hugh Taylor of Yale University School of Medicine, who wasn't involved in the new report, says he now advises pregnant patients to avoid canned foods.

"Fresh fruits and vegetables may be more expensive, but I believe that the risk is too high not to spend the extra," says Taylor, who studies the effect of BPA on prenatal development. "The entire life of that individual may be altered by a few months of BPA exposure in pregnancy. This is where the greatest risk lies. We are programming the hormonal response of the next generation. The worst effects may not become apparent for years."

siggi1bmp-1.jpg picture by us5dots

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Well, it's a good thing that I'm not really a fan of canned foods. Altho, I do eat them when I'm not pregnant but not a lot!
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM

ok!

VJennyLynnS
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I have never heard that! hmm. The only real thing I eat that is canned is either corn (occasionally) and chili..

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Quoting NoraDun:

ok!

strange huh!

siggi1bmp-1.jpg picture by us5dots

Randi02
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Not for the women, for their babies.

Canned food isn't good for anyone though, so I don't know why it's a shock for some people LOL

Thankfully, BPA has been banned in all baby/childrens products here (in Canada) and most companies are removing it from their products voluntarily. Same with trans fats. It's kind of funny though, the same companies have different batches for the US (no regulations on BPA) and Canada/Europe (that do have regulations). Why not just remove it from the stuff you guys get as well? Aside from the fact that it's so much cheaper to use that crap...

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

valrubio
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:56 PM

We rarely eat anything from a can. We are a fresh fruit and veggies family and make our food from scratch.

Mrs.Arney
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 2:59 PM

aaww man!! There goes my canned green beans, corn, and chili....crying

SillyJessi
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I want to move to Canada LOL sounds like they're actually looking out for you guys up there.  Lucky.

HillaryRenee
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Crazy isn't it? I've been trying to find a list of ones that don't contain BPA, but I did find this:

• Of all foods tested, chicken soup, infant formula, and ravioli had BPA levels of highest concern. Just one to three servings of foods with these concentrations could expose a woman or child to BPA at levels that caused serious adverse effects in animal tests.
  • For 1 in 10 cans of all food tested, and 1 in 3 cans of infant formula, a single serving contained enough BPA to expose a woman or infant to BPA levels more than 200 times the government's traditional safe level of exposure for industrial chemicals. The government typically mandates a 1,000- to 3,000-fold margin of safety between human exposures and levels found to harm lab animals, but these servings contained levels of BPA less than 5 times lower than doses that harmed lab animals.

http://www.ewg.org/reports/bisphenola

Mrs.Custer
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM

I buy frozen vegetable only

Never canned!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)