Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dr. Apt Tomorrow... I got a few questions (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM
  • 7 Replies

I know she will do a pap smear. I'm ok with that since I have history of my cervix changing  often with and without pregnancy. But I miss the posts about what I can denie in an apt. Like the internal checks. What are they called? Is there a list a momma here can give me what I can deny? I had no idea in the first place you don't have to have internal checks. Thanks! I'm asking about all the visits not just the first one. 

pregnancy
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
grapejelly
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I don't have a list but here are somethings you can deny

internal exams (where they look for cervical changes)

vaccinations

interventions

certain U/S and blood test screenings for the baby

I think you might be able to deny these if you put up a big fight...

Group B strep testing (done toward the end)

Gestational diabetes testing

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM
You don't have to have vaginal exams, gestational diabetes, std testing, group b strep, amnio, or basically anything done during your pregnancy. However, if you are going for a 'well-woman' checkup or you haven't had a regular exam the last 6ish months, I would let her do the pelvic exam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:34 PM

You can deny anything and everything.  You don't have to consent to vaginal exams, pap smears, blood tests, anything if you don't want it you can deny it.  I refused my glucose test, no vaginal exams, did the pap smear but it had been a while.  If you don't want it say no.  It doesn't matter what they say you don't HAVE to do anything. 

JuneWestling
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:45 PM

GrapeJelly~ Thanks that was the list I was looking for! I don't want all the internal exams~ That lone made me not want to go the first time. I do do the diabetes and strep B because they have both at times ran in my family so I want to be careful with those. 

PandaPanda~ I deny the amino also just the thought of it freaks me out. I do get all the well woman check ups the first one in the first apt. and one more a few months before labor and one at 6 weeks. I have to get those pretty much cause cervix changes on me a lot and one time had a scare of it was cancer. 

TrueAlaskanMomma~ I had asked my doc before if I HAVE to and she always says yes. But I was the one who always asked if I had to after getting ready for it. I just needed to be 100% sure that I can say no to vaginal exams! 

orange4agua72
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:49 PM

You really honestly can deny ANYTHING.... there will be a fight with some MAJOR things, but you can "deny with informed consent" pretty much EVERYTHING!

ready_for2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM

you can deny ANY and ALL medical procedures that you do not want

your doctor may try to push some onto you, or scare or threaten you, but when it comes down to it, it is YOUR choice 100%

JuneWestling
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I really LOVE my OB! She is a complete sweetheart! I believe she is on my side about taking care of baby. But I fear if she doesn't allow me to say NO with out a fight on a few things, I'll have no choice but to find another OB. She was the 3rd one I interviewed before I picked on. She was the only one that was OK with me smoking with my first. I have stopped with this one and so I have no worries about that. But I feel "smarter" and more "educated" about this pregnancy then my first one. I know deep down she will not force me or scare me but hormones have the best of me right now since it is the night before! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)