Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding ? again.

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM
  • 5 Replies
Okay I know I posted one awhile back. But this is the first time I have actually gone thru with breastfeeding. My baby is 12days old and my boobs aren't hard anymore so I am kindve getting discouraged and almost ready to give up bc she is fussy (guess bc of the formula I have her on bc I feel I can't produce enough) well lastnight she wouldn't take a bottle at all she latched onto my breast and had a hay day well is it normal for your nipples to start hurtting for no reason at all?? And ur boobs feel all weird lol? Like I haven't fed her yet she's been asleep for like 3hrs so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Well first of all once your milk supply is established your breast won't be as hard b/c your not going to be engorged. Also the more you offer formula the more you wil mess your supply up. Sounds like you have a natural nurser there. You just need to trust that your body knows how to supply the nutrients your little one needs. As far as sore nipples it is normal with first timers. You can get a cream from pretty much anywhere to help ease pain! Good Luck and you can do this Momma!

ready_for2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM

just bc your boobs arent hard doesnt mean you arent producing enough.

it would be best to stop with the formula and ONLY bf. your supply will build that way. this early it is so important to get a good supply established, and if you are giving formula at the same time it can really mess things up (this is what happened to me)

your nipples will hurt for a while, especially in the beginning when they nurse all the time.

are you in the breastfeeding group? you should post this in there, they are VERY helpful and encouraging

abra
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Yeah, my breasts kind of had their own weather system while I was breastfeeding. I wouldn't worry about it. When given the choice, most babies prefer breastmilk because it is sweeter then formula. And my kids had really sporadic eating/sleeping habits too. I figure they will wake up when they are hungry.

abra
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:29 PM

and ditto previous poster about your breasts not needing to be hard to have a full supply. They usually let down/fill up upon stimulation.

mamalinzie
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Just seconding what the PP said. Its all about supply and demand. The more you suppliment, the less you will make. The more you just let her nurse and not worry about how much she is getting, the more you will make. Dont watch the clock. Just nurse her when she wants, for as long as she wants.  Your body is meant to do this and rarely do women not make enough milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)