Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Selfish? WWYD?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:55 PM
  • 21 Replies

My DH has been planning this camping trip for us that we go on every year. We go to the Ozark mountain for festivals called Schwagstock (Grateful Dead festivals). He is really excited but after the heat today I changed my mind. I really don't think I can camp for 3 days in 95+ degree heat while I am pregnant. Also this was going to be our son's first year going there. He is only 19 months, and I don't think he would handle that heat very well either. I haven't wanted to tell DH, bc I knew how upset he would be,but tonight I just told him I didn't think I could do it. He is upset bc he has really been looking forward to it.

Do you think I am being selfish? Or do you think he is being selfish for not thinking about how I or our son would feel? I just don't think it sounds very healthy or safe. And its an 8 hour drive, not sure how our son would handle that either! I'm feeling guilty right now but i dont really think i should...

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christine.r2624
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Eh... how far along are you? I personally dont handle 4 hr rides well to our home town, and neither does my 3 yr old. 8 hrs is alot, and that is hot for you and for your son. Maybe just talk to him and tell him you are thinking about your health and safety at this point... I think thats reasonable.

ready_for2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Quoting christine.r2624:

Eh... how far along are you? I personally dont handle 4 hr rides well to our home town, and neither does my 3 yr old. 8 hrs is alot, and that is hot for you and for your son. Maybe just talk to him and tell him you are thinking about your health and safety at this point... I think thats reasonable.

i am 17 weeks, i would be about 21 weeks at the time of the trip

its not that i worry about being far from home bc of labor or anything, its just the heat! i cant even stand being outside for 5 min here, so i really dont wanna go camp for a whole weekend...and my son gets hot so easy too. also i have terrible headaches lately, almost migraines, i know it would just make them worse. also its being soooo far from home, camping for a weekend here wouldnt be so bad, bc i could always just go home if it was...

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Well as an expert of camping and doing so while pregnant and with toddlers I would say that nobody is being selfish persay.  I would go camping if I were in your shoes, but he would understand that he was on toddler chase duties which includes sunscreen and water duty.  As long as you aren't building the fire doing all the cooking and hiking around it is really not that bad, it is actually really relaxing and helps with the pregnancy aches and pains.  My DD did fine on a drive longer than that at that age.  I am almost 36 weeks and we will be going camping this week or next week.  That is just how I am.  Camping is a fav of mine.  I am not a big fan of stopping what I normally do because I am pregnant. 

doulala
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Selfish??    For thinking of your health & safety and that of your fetus and toddler??

ehh, nope.

;-P

I don't think he is being selfish, necessarily because he isn't in your body and thinking about what it feels like to be you...
There is a reason you have a negative reaction to the temperature...   listen to that instinct!

:-)

AddyLeigh
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM

No way would I want to w/ all of those things in account!

Sweet_Britt
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I can understand why he'd be upset since this is something you guys do every year and he is really looking forward to it a lot. And Im not a fan of the heat myself either.

I think I'd go and make sure to pack long flowy dresses, shorts and tank tops, and lots of water and go : ) I think I'd take one for the team and try and have a good time despite the heat.

Pregnancy%20ticker

ready_for2
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

I can understand why he'd be upset since this is something you guys do every year and he is really looking forward to it a lot. And Im not a fan of the heat myself either.

I think I'd go and make sure to pack long flowy dresses, shorts and tank tops, and lots of water and go : ) I think I'd take one for the team and try and have a good time despite the heat.

if i do go, i would either wear a bikini or nothing!! or maybe just the bottoms lol

Sweet_Britt
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Quoting ready_for2:

Quoting Sweet_Britt:

if i do go, i would either wear a bikini or nothing!! or maybe just the bottoms lol

WOO HOO TAKE PICS ; ) haha totally kidding!!

But HEY, if thats the most comfortable way to go and its allowed............hahaha

Pregnancy%20ticker

jridgill
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I wouldn't do it. Why not suggest him get a friend and still go? That's what I would do. My DH loves to go to boneroo but I don't so he goes with friends.

MNLETLE
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Could you stay home and he go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)