Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Toddlers hitting

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM
  • 12 Replies

What do you do about a toddler hitting?

He hits us when he gets mad--like if we tell him no or take something from him. He hits us when we tell him it's bathtime or bedtime. He hits us if we say "ouch". It's not always with his hand either...earlier today, he and my husband were messing around, and he stepped on my husband's neck. My husband didn't yell at him or anything--just said "ow!". Mikey (my son) grabbed a heavy glass ashtray and tried hitting my husband with it!

I've told him over and over again that he is not allowed to hit, it's not nice, etc...I've tried time outs with him. I've tried taking away toys (particularly when he's hitting us with the toys). My husband seems to think if we hit him back, he'll stop, but I know that won't work. Not to mention, we've tried spanking in the past (for other things), and he just hits us back if we spank him, so I stopped using that as a punishment.

Anyway, I worry a lot with the new baby coming. What if he gets mad and hits the baby? But, I don't know how to get him to stop hitting.....He just turned 2 a month ago....

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:19 PM

With my DD we squeeze her hand and get right in her face so she is looking at us and tell her "NO, you don't hit!"  Then take her to time out, and explain that she is in time out because she was hitting.  It wasn't really effective at first but over time it is.  They think they are playing and that we are too when we say ouch.  Just be consistent over and over and it will pay off eventually

Mrs.Custer
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM

He at that age u have to do it over and over

Still put him in time out

How long is his time out?

Are u using a different voice when u discipline him?

I would hold both hand --- Telling him no this is unacceptable behavior with a angry look too... over and over! 

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

With my DD we squeeze her hand and get right in her face so she is looking at us and tell her "NO, you don't hit!"  Then take her to time out, and explain that she is in time out because she was hitting.  It wasn't really effective at first but over time it is.  They think they are playing and that we are too when we say ouch.  Just be consistent over and over and it will pay off eventually

Really? That's what my husband does too, but I don't....I figured it would have the same effect as hitting them back.....guess I'll have to try it.

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Quoting Mrs.Custer:

He at that age u have to do it over and over

Still put him in time out

How long is his time out? 2 minutes...I've read it should be a minute for each year of age, right?

Are u using a different voice when u discipline him? Yes.

I would hold both hand --- Telling him no this is unacceptable behavior with a angry look too... over and over! 

workin_mamma
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:32 PM

we make my son hit himself... you know that saying, quit hitting yourself... well thats what we do and he doesnt hit us as much anymore

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM

That's a different approach...not sure I could do it without laughing though (cause I think he would laugh)....

Quoting workin_mamma:

we make my son hit himself... you know that saying, quit hitting yourself... well thats what we do and he doesnt hit us as much anymore

christine.r2624
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:53 PM

This. If you are religious at all you can use the "God gave us hands to help and love, not hurt" I use this w/ my 3 yr old and use it with my kids at the daycare as well (we are a christian preschool- I dont teach religion to kids whose parents dont want it!)

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Erika2408
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Yep just have to tell him over and over and keep on with the time outs...they will get there my son was doing that to when he was in trouble or i got after him he would come up and smack me cuz I yelled at him. But just keep it up and he will stop at some point. My son is almost 3 he don't hit us anymore now he is mouthy and will tell me to "go away". Ah it will always be something I think lol.

Tumamita05
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:02 PM

omg i have the same problem my son is 20months and he thinks its a joke to get mad and hit or throw something on the floor or towards someone or me . i get so mad i put him in time out i sit him down i take his toys i try it al but u have to keep doin it over n over cause my son doesnt listen still and we go over n over the damn routine literally everyday . i jus given up i jus dont kno what to do anymore . they say try to distract them move them to a different place idk when u find the magic trick let us know cause i jus gt iratiated especially since im 9 months pregnant im worried bout him hitting the new baby to i def have to seperate there car seats cause im worried of his little rants . i knoe his father will have a heart attack if he hits the new baby . his father gets furious when he hits me or throws something at me .

kittymontclaire
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:13 PM

My daughter is 2 1/2 and she has been hitting me and only me since before she was one.  Not really sure why this is but I consistently try most of the things suggested here.  She hits herself occasionally too and sometimes tries to bite herself or me.  This is when she gets over upset at not getting her  way so its not terribly frequent.  On the flip side she is extremely loving and considerate when she is calm and happy.  I think for her it is frustrating for her to not be able to communicate her feelings so I just try to be patinent and consistent until she learns or grows out of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)