Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOMEBIRTHS ?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM
  • 63 Replies

ok not bashing anyone  im just curious.  arnt yall scared that something going to happen.  anything can happen.  yall are so brave,  i like being at the hospital were there dr's and equepment there handy incase anything happen

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chick
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Nope, not scared at all. I am scared of hospitals and ob's. It's not about bravery at all. It's about being informed. If you knew all the stats, history, facts, did your research...you would find it's safer to be at home and there is no reason to be scared.

my2kids131512
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM

hun  if i was carring one child i might do it lol,  bt im carring 3

Quoting Chick:

Nope, not scared at all. I am scared of hospitals and ob's. It's not about bravery at all. It's about being informed. If you knew all the stats, history, facts, did your research...you would find it's safer to be at home and there is no reason to be scared.

Chick
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Poor you!!!! I can't imagine... I know nothing about carrying multiples and can imagine how much scarier it would be and I myself might choose a hospital in that case -can't say for sure bc I have never researched having multiples at home- but I know that there are plenty of women who have twins at home, and there are even some triplet home birth videos on natural birthing websites and you tube. Not saying you should...I don't know your situation- I just know it's totally possible and maybe even what I would choose but I don't know until I am in those shoes.

Quoting my2kids131512:

Quoting Chick:

Megara
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I'm having my baby in a free-standing birth center, which is basically like a home-away-from-homebirth.  It's the same home setting, it's just closer to a hospital than my home.  My birth center has two midwives and several student midwives.  I had my first baby there, too.

For me, no, I'm not scared of anything happening, because honestly, "something" can happen no matter where you are.  The chances of a complication with no prior warning signs are extremely slim.  Midwives are more educated in normal childbirth than OBs, and they know when something is out of their hands.

So that being said, I did have a complication that had no warning signs.  After my first baby was born I had a massive postpartum hemmorhage, and I had to be transfered to the nearest ER.  I was the birth center's first emergency transport.  Did I hemmorhage because I wasn't in the hospital?  Absolutely not.  It would have happened no matter where I was.  My midwife acted exactly as she should have and got me the help I needed immediately.  I believe my outcome was BETTER because I delivered in the birth center rather than the hospital.  And I am having this baby in the birth center, too.

LindseyKate
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Quoting my2kids131512:

Quoting Chick:

WOAH. i think people who do home births are troopers. i could never do it (but thats because i worry too much) and also carrying not only more than one but THREE!! Im barely handling one!  =]

Chick
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Just wanted to add...for most low risk, normal pregnancies, "anything" is not going to happen, most are normal births with the normal minor complications here and there that midwives are trained to handle. Midwives are able to handle and reocognize situations that need to be taken care of or acknowdledge when it's something she can't do, like if a mom does need a csection, but it's pretty rare. There is no shame in going to the hospital when it's needed, it has it's place. Just in my opinion, that place is not for a normal, low risk birth. A lot of the "emergencies" that happen at the hospital only happen bc of something else the hospital did or didn't do before that. So there are a lot of things that happen in births that women say "oh thank God I was in the hospital or the baby or I would have died" when in reality, none of it would have happened in the first place had she been at home. Of course there are exceptions and reasons for women to use a hospital, I am not bashing anyone who does. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

stellarluna
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I had a homebirth, more "BAD" things happen in hospitals mama, just saying.  It's the doctors themselves who actually evoke the chain of events in most cases.  Women have been birthing babies for how long?  It's something your body knows how to do... TRUE emergencies are far more rare than you realize, I would assume.

My midwife has delivered many multiples and breech babies... it really would depend on what position your babies are in, and I'm not going to pretend I know what position is preferable, but it's possible for some moms to deliver at home in your position.  You really have to go with what you're comfortable with and I'm just not comfortable with a doctor in a hospital... I'd rather be with a birth expert in the comfort of my own home. 

doulala
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Most (all?) planned homebirths are done with education and preparation.   They are far from willy-nilly or risky.

Compared to a hospital birth, they are as safe (or safer).

As a birth doula/birth junkie, I am quite aware of the iatrogenic issues (complications caused BY doctors) and their Medical Model philosophy.    Mother Nature has designed birth to work quite well without that interference--   and now we can see (especially for Americans, as I am), that this high-tech mode of childbirth is actually not safer for mothers and children.

:-(

When you become aware of the true risks you start to see that birthing in a hospital is actually adding unnecessary risks to the average labor.
We see this through the poor outcome rates, induction and cesarean rates, and why Birth Plans and Birth Doulas and more are becoming more appreciated.

Hospital birthers might be the brave ones!

;-P

We've put birth in the same category with illness and disease and it's never belonged there. Birth is naturally safe, but we've allowed it to be taken over by the medical community.

~Carla Hartley, founder of Trust Birth and the Ancient Art Midwifery Institute

Treating normal labors as though they were complicated can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. ~Rooks

If you lay down, the baby will never come out! ~ Native American saying

Megara
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Exactly.  I hear so many stories about how this mom would have DIED and her baby would have DIED if they hadn't been in the hospital, and I think wow, a hospital sounds really dangerous if these people are always on the brink of death!

Quoting Chick:

Just wanted to add...for most low risk, normal pregnancies, "anything" is not going to happen, most are normal births with the normal minor complications here and there that midwives are trained to handle. Midwives are able to handle and reocognize situations that need to be taken care of or acknowdledge when it's something she can't do, like if a mom does need a csection, but it's pretty rare. There is no shame in going to the hospital when it's needed, it has it's place. Just in my opinion, that place is not for a normal, low risk birth. A lot of the "emergencies" that happen at the hospital only happen bc of something else the hospital did or didn't do before that. So there are a lot of things that happen in births that women say "oh thank God I was in the hospital or the baby or I would have died" when in reality, none of it would have happened in the first place had she been at home. Of course there are exceptions and reasons for women to use a hospital, I am not bashing anyone who does. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Chick
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM

They are def. the brave ones! I was thinking this the other day, talking with two of my friends who keep telling me how brave I am, both had two hosp. births with pitocin and epi's. They followed telling me how brave I was by how hard pitocin made their pains and how many times they had to get stuck with the needle to get the epi right, or the spinal fluid leakage they had, the spinal migraine, ect...and I was looking at them like they were crazy for calling me brave...they actually did that twice. I learned my lesson the first time.

Quoting doulala:

Most (all?) planned homebirths are done with education and preparation.   They are far from willy-nilly or risky.

Compared to a hospital birth, they are as safe (or safer).

As a birth doula/birth junkie, I am quite aware of the iatrogenic issues (complications caused BY doctors) and their Medical Model philosophy.    Mother Nature has designed birth to work quite well without that interference--   and now we can see (especially for Americans, as I am), that this high-tech mode of childbirth is actually not safer for mothers and children.

:-(

When you become aware of the true risks you start to see that birthing in a hospital is actually adding unnecessary risks to the average labor.
We see this through the poor outcome rates, induction and cesarean rates, and why Birth Plans and Birth Doulas and more are becoming more appreciated.

Hospital birthers might be the brave ones!

;-P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)