• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would it be weird if my daughter and I had the same first name??

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:08 AM
  • 24 Replies

Hello - I am pregnant with my third baby - a little girl and my husband and I have been going back and forth over baby names for so long that I'm sick of even talking about it.  We have it narrowed down to a couple names though.  He mentioned tonight that he would like to give her my first name.  My name is Natalie Beth.  No matter what the first name, I want to give her my middle name b/c it was my grandma's name.  One name I like is Carly Beth.  Well, my husband really just likes the name Natalie - not b/c it's my name, but b/c he just always has.  I have to say - I do like it too b/c I don't know very many.  I figure if I did agree to it then maybe I could make the middle name Elizabeth instead of Beth - that way it's a little different.  I've asked a few of my family memebers about the idea and they act like it's completely crazy and I'm full of myself or something.  What's so wrong with it??  Why can a man give his son his name but a mom can't??  I just really need some other opinions other than my immediate family.  Thanks for any input :)

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
norahsmommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM

well guys do it all the time.  So why not?

miss_hughes
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM

if a man can give his son his name, why can a woman?

LaceyN1121
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Whats so weird about it, my son is a III in our family.... If its ok for men and boys its definately ok for girls

HeidiLong07
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Would you have to add Jr. to the end?

pregowithfifth
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Quoting norahsmommy:

well guys do it all the time.  So why not?

I totally agree men can have juniors and  "the first"  "the second" and so on.  If you like it I say go for it.  Not strange at all.

maybaby08
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I agree about the double standard, you should be able to if you want to. Personally I hate it either way (Dad or Mom's names) but its not my baby :)

chell.chell
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I think it is fine, she will just need a different nick name. . [:

britniwheeler
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:16 AM

I think it is fine... and I do love the name Natalie, but just so you know it is now on the top ten baby names of this year. So, it is much more common. Not that that really matters. I like Natalie Elizabeth, sounds pretty together

gpascoe
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:16 AM

u should whatever you want...its not their baby. the baby is urs!!! i have a handful of friends that have named their lil girls with the same name. i think there is nothing wrong with it. its not written in stone....i would use the name elizabeth...that way at she can have nicknames....eli, liz, lizzy, beth,......

palemoon21
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I don't see why you can't.....but I personally wouldn't do it. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)