Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok this way off topic

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:14 AM
  • 6 Replies
Ok so here I was wondering how many of you ladies have children over the age of 6? The reason I am asking is what would you do if your child got lost in a store or in a crowd of people? Would you put you child on your cellphone plan or would you get them a pre pay cellphone? Well a couple of weeks ago dd almost got lost in a crowd of people at our local Country Days fair, so dh and got T-Mobile lines and we were trying to get his Samsung highlight phone to work so we took it back to Wal Mart and we talked about adding a third line for dd just for that reason if she would get lost in a store, hervline os just for if she can not fimd us or of we can not find her, the day she got to see her phone she saw dh and my phone and wanted ours so all last week I was on a hunt for the same phone cause on the flip phone she does not know how to use the number keys as letter keys well our pnone is a touch or tap phone and she has a better idea of how to text on it AND YES WE HAVE TEXTING FOR DH AND I BUT SHE CAN TEXT US AND ASK WHERE ARE YOU AT in a store she even knows how to take pictures with her phone, please no bashing about this cause I have even seen a child that was younger than dd with an I Phone. DH and I thought it was a good idea she does carry it with her when she goes with us to the store. Last Sunday while her and I were looking for a Fathers Day gift for dh she called dh to let him know we were ready for him to come in the store and this ladybwas very rude saying that a child under the age of 18 should never had a cellphone cause it was just wrong well I went on to say that it was none of her business what my dd had a cellphone or not then she began to use the f word in front of my dd and my dd just looked her and said watch you lanuge at that point I could not say a word to dd cause she was right well there were other people that heard what was said and they thought ir was a good idea and even one guy and another lady say they were going to add their child one was 8 and the other was about ten. oi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
palemoon21
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:21 AM

My oldest is 9 years old. She does have a cell phone. It is for emergencies ONLY. We have certain numbers programmed for her just in case. Before summer break started she did take it to school in her bookbag (with the ringer on silent and not allowed to pull it out in class) in the event the I needed to let her know something important.

I am a SAHM but due to a chronic disability I spent alot of time getting treatments in another town. If I was going to be late/stuck in traffic or whatnot.....I could let her know so she didn't walk into an empty house.

Also that way she could contact me if she forgot her key or if something happened while walking from the bus stop.  

I think it's perfectly for kids to have cell phones as long as there is some set of rules in place.

kajira
by Emma on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM

I probably won't get my son a cell phone for a long time, but I am always nearby and keep close tabs on him. When he's old enough to babysit, or stay home by himself, i'll probably get him a cell phone for emergencies.

abra
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 2:54 AM

BUMP!

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:30 AM

I personally wouldn't get a little one that young a cell phone. If you think it's best for your family, go with your gut. Do you think she will always have it on her? Knowing our luck, the little one wouldn't have it if they got lost.  Good luck with your decision.

Kaydence2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:34 AM
I got my first prepaid cell in 8th grade, so 13 years old. Good age. When afterschool activities started happening for me. Times are changing. My dd is only 4 months so I have awhile for that lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimwilson16
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 3:42 AM

No I would not get my son a cell phone. I personally do not see the need. I take him to school everyday and pick him up. If I am going to be late, I just call the school. When we go to crowded places I dress my older two in matching outfits to help keep tabs on them, they are 8 and 5. My little guy is in the stroller so I do not have to worry about him. It seems crazy to me to see kids with cell phones, I got my first cell phone when I was 25 lol.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)