Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can your water break and have no contractions

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM
  • 29 Replies
Hi I was wondering if your water can break and not have any contractions. Last night when my hubby came to bed, he woke me up and I noticed the sheets and my panties were really wet. Thinking it was pee I smelt it and it didn't smell like pee, which leads to my next question what does amniotic fluid smell like? I havnt had any contractions just back pain, is that possible? Thanks ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JEM86
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

my water broke and i didnt have any contractions until i got to the hospital and they gave me pitocin.

oaknaydsmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

YES!  When I had my 2nd my water broke a little when I was sitting on the couch,I went to the bathroom nothing happened went back to the couch and it broke a little more.  I was upset thinking I peed myself I felt fine no contractions or anything.  I was uncertain if my water broke or if I just peed a little because it wasn't the big gush everyone told me to expect.  Dh decided to take me to the hospital to be safe,and he hit a pot hole on the way and that is when I had the big gush.  I had to have pitocin when I was admitted and it was still another hour or so before any contractions started.   I can't explain the smell of amniotic fluid..but it does smell different then pee.

Lilypie - (Pgkx)

niki1125
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM

yes yes yes!! my water broke and I never had contractions untill an hour later! but my back did hurt a lot! good luck!

MikeysMom51108
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Quoting JEM86:

my water broke and i didnt have any contractions until i got to the hospital and they gave me pitocin.

Same here. 

And, some people say amniotic fluid smells sweet, but mine didn't have a smell at all. If you're not sure, call your doctor or L&D and they can test it for you. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

grapejelly
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM

totally possible!!  good luck!

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Mine has broke without contractions a few times. Are you still leaking it?

Savannahsmom208
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM
I think I may be, it feels wet down there but can't tell if I am leaking or if it is normal discharge
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Laureney
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Yep, totally possible. Don't go to the hospital until contractions start and get closer together. If you step foot in the hospital they will only give you 24 hrs before you have to have the baby or you'll get a c-section (due to infection). This is because they are always sticking their hands up you and it increases your risk. Just don't stick anything up there!

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM

IDK if it's TMI, but I always thought it smelled like cum.  LOL!  Sorry, but that's what I think of when I smelled it.  It was so faint, and barely a smell at all.

majikalmama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Quoting grapejelly:

totally possible!!  good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)