Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home Birth and Insurance/HSA

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello everyone,

I have finally met my insanely high deductible of $3.000 and I have just realized that maybe Blue Cross Blue Shield won't cover the home birth. They said I need a provider from their list, which of course don't include midwives. I dont even know if I can get money from my HSA to pay for it. Has anyone gone through this??? I am only 19 weeks, but I need to make sure I have everything I need. If you know anything about it let me know the steps I have to take. Thank you!!!

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Momt24
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I'm pretty positive you won't find any insurance provider that will cover home birth. I'm fixing to have my 3rd homebirth and always pay out of pocket. It's not as expensive as hospital births though so that helps.

Momt24
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I could be wrong though.....I just know a lot of people who have them and insurance didn't cover them. Good luck~~

Quoting Momt24:

I'm pretty positive you won't find any insurance provider that will cover home birth. I'm fixing to have my 3rd homebirth and always pay out of pocket. It's not as expensive as hospital births though so that helps.

LaughterHugs
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

we used our HSA t o pay for our homebirth....it's just an 'out oif network' provider :) we have aetna though

Ati_13
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Some BC/BS plans DO cover it, so call and ask.  I have had insurance that would cover it before, but it's a reimbursement thing, not upfront coverage. 

My insurance wouldn't cover it this time, but because I hadn't met my deductible and insurance only pays for 80% of the birth, I saved $100 by paying for a midwife out of pocket.

Also, when does your plan year end?  Your insurance won't roll over your deductible just because you're already pregnant lol.  If you go in to labor AFTER your plan year ends, you have a new deductible to meet.  Meaning that a hospital birth because it's covered by insurance will be even more expensive.

abra
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM

You can use your HSA for it. Technically the HSA is for any medical expense. Just have your midwife write up an invoice and receipt for you in the unlikely event that they audit you. Good luck!

ready_for2
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM

they wont pay for mine! in my state the only legal people who can deliver babies are doctors and CNMs (certified nurse midwives) who convieniently work only in hospitals or birth centers.

so homebirth midwives dont count. but i am not letting this ruin my dream of homebirth so i am paying out of pocket to my midwife. her fee is $2000 but she is working with us and allowing us to just pay her as we can, we live paycheck to paycheck and dont have extra money so right now we are doing good to give her $200 a month. it wont be paid by the time the baby is born but she said that is ok.

im sorry you are going through this! it is so hard, i really wish we had a better system of choices for birthing women! but hang in there and if you really want it you can find a way to make it work. i was even considering UC before i found this midwife bc i didnt think i would be able to find one...

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:53 PM

My insurance is a PPO and it covers all certified midwives so it covers homebirth, if you have an HMO they don't cover midwives.  You have to call and ask or get your handbook and try to find it in there, calling is easier.  Also 3000 is about how much it costs for prenatal and homebirth services so you might as well find a midwife and set up a payment plan and not worry about insurance 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)