• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Big Baby

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM
  • 14 Replies

I just went to the dr yesterday, and my baby is measuring big. My due date is Aug. 24, so I am almost 32 weeks, but he is already 5 pounds and 2 ounces! they said they would do another ultra sound at 36 weeks. Plus he has already dropped. I am thinking he will be here before his due date, unless he gets too big they have to induce....My dr said there is nothing to worry about ,but just wondering if any of you guys have had a similar situation? Thanks, Ashley pregnant belly

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Army_wife8181
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM

yep, I had an ultrasound at 35 weeks 5 days and my little girl was estimated in at 8 1/2lbs! Yikes! I hope its off a little =)

abra
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. Ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate when it comes to weight of the baby late in pregnancy. They were off by 4lbs on mine!!

VintageWife
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM
My babies have been big and this one is measuring big also, but I won't induce because of that alone. I think anything less than 11 lbs can be born vaginally :) I am due in 11 days so we will see how big she is soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tandie1977
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM
yes i did when i was on microbid for kidney infections he got big and they did sonos and he was big then didnt move the day i went to get last sono and i was already contracting ang when they did sono he weight 9 pounds and they checked me and i was dialated to 4 in a half so up to the hospital and had him like in 3 hours lol with help of pitocin. but i was like 38 weeks and he did come out 9p1onc lol but he was so swollen. he dropped to 7p goodluck and take care
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ready_for2
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

i had a baby labeled as 'macrosomia' aka 'too big' but i think that is total BS!! he was just the perfect size for HIM. he was born at 40 weeks and weighted 9 lb 5 oz. i knew he was big the whole time, but the doctors didnt believe me. now i am sooooo thankful they didnt know, bc i know they would have wanted to induce early or do a c/s. when i had him vaginally just fine with NO TEARS!

inducing for large baby actually increases your chance of c/s more than just waiting for the baby to come. so i wouldnt let them scare or push you into anything. your body wont grow a baby it cant birth, unless you have GD (and even then its not that likely) or a deformed pelvis

doulala
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM

What do you think the risks are for a "Big Baby"?   Wondering what your doctor has said--

Ultrasounds are a guesstimate & can be off a bit (pounds, lol)~   so intervening on a maybe is a big deal.

ashleywagoner
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:08 PM

The doctor said that they would just do another ultrasound at 36 weeks...I guess just to keep a check on him. She didn't make me feel like there were any risks, other than him getting too big.  She said that if he was getting too big I may not be able to deliver him naturally and would give me the option to induce at 39 weeks.  Also, they wouldn't let him go past his due date.

iloveconan
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I would never induce based only on an u/s. They are way off so much of the time. When I was having my son at 30 weeks, they said he was "at least 5 pounds" but he was born at 3 pounds 14 ounces.

cadlecr4
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Quoting ready_for2:

i had a baby labeled as 'macrosomia' aka 'too big' but i think that is total BS!! he was just the perfect size for HIM. he was born at 40 weeks and weighted 9 lb 5 oz. i knew he was big the whole time, but the doctors didnt believe me. now i am sooooo thankful they didnt know, bc i know they would have wanted to induce early or do a c/s. when i had him vaginally just fine with NO TEARS!

inducing for large baby actually increases your chance of c/s more than just waiting for the baby to come. so i wouldnt let them scare or push you into anything. your body wont grow a baby it cant birth, unless you have GD (and even then its not that likely) or a deformed pelvis

Thats not necessarly true, I had a 8.4lb baby and she should have been c/s. She broke my tail bone  tore muschle in her shoulder  and tore me from point a to point b.  She was too big for me. My 3rd baby was a pound bigger and there was no way I could have had her naturally.

kysmom642
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM

You know sometimes I wonder if doctors even know what a big baby is..lol.

My dd was born at 32 weeks and she was 4lbs 4oz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)