• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*help* constipated newborn.

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM
  • 21 Replies
Okay so my newborn is very constipated she's pooping what looks like pebbles she's very gassy the doctor changed her to soy formula to see if thatll help we've been on soy for a week now, she's still having problems we've done the tummy excersizes didn't help mylicon doesn't help idk what to do she's 3wks old help me please she doesn't sleep she screams n cries ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM

you could spike her formula with a little (tiny bit) of prune juice. Just make sure she gets a lot of fluid afterwards.

NikkiPhoenix
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Try laying her on her back and bicycling her legs.  Worked with my kids.

BTW Soy formula causes constipation.  We went through that with our youngest.

JadeStorm
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:06 PM

water with a teaspoon of sugar worked with all mine 

BlessedToBMommy
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM

prune juice or apple, and see if they will switch her to Nutrmagen, my son was constipated TERRIBLY and they switched him he was lactose intolerant, ped said that soy could trigger the same reaction, so she went to Nutrimagen, worked great!! At 6 moths od he'd grown out of the milk allergy and was back on regular formula.

Randi02
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM

It's not too late to start nursing her.

Breastfed babies don't get constipated.

Hope she feels better, other than that I have no idea. Formula is very hard on their little bodies and it might take some trying to find one that 'works'.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

mrsmorrissey04
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM

my baby was like that and the doctor told me a syringe of water after her feedings would help. like the syringe you get with the tylenol or motrin for babies. it did wonders.

DaniJones86
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Quoting Randi02:

Hope she feels better, other than that I have no idea. Formula is very hard on their little bodies and it might take some trying to find one that 'works'.

Not true my first stayed constipated for the 3 months I breastfed her for. and then was constipated until 5 formulas later. Now my second had no problems

Group admin. Young Old School Momma's
I am a mother to 2 beautiful girls, a angel in heaven, and A little boy coming in July!!!! 

Pregnancy%20ticker

chadsmom05
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM
karo syrup in her bottle just a teaspoon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitCat922
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM

With my baby I treid Gripe water, its suppose to help sooth their tummies and it made my baby poop more

Randi02
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Quoting DaniJones86:

Quoting Randi02:

Not true my first stayed constipated for the 3 months I breastfed her for. and then was constipated until 5 formulas later. Now my second had no problems

She was in pain and pooping pellets?

Breastfed babies can go up to (some even beyond) 14 days without a bowel movement and have it be completely normal. Breastmilk is used so efficiently by the body, there's very little waste. My daughter went after every single feed, but my son would go 9 days. No pain, gassiness or discomfort and when he did go it was loose, yellow and had no smell. Normal BF baby poop!

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)