Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cry it out method...

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have an 8 month old who cries every time we lay him down in his bed. He pushes his bottle away and wont stop crying until we pick him up. I hate hearing him cry but i dont know how i can ever get him to sleep with him always crying when its bed time. I have not yet tried this method on him but I think I might have no other choice. I just can't handle the crying non stop and feel bad for him. He's 8 months old and wakes up multiple times a night and does this. I just need some advice on how old you started doing this? Or for the ones who don't do you have any tips to get him to sleep in his own bed? I really don't like hearing him cry but i can't even sit down for a few seconds with the way he's been lately.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM

bump!  I am not very good at CIO myself.

kysmom642
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM

My daughter slept by herself fine. bump. =)

kno4eva
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:44 PM

BUMP!

majikalmama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:47 PM
What is CIO?

Quoting housefullofkidz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kno4eva
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

cry it out

Quoting majikalmama:

What is CIO?

Quoting housefullofkidz:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM

We did the CIO method w/Elijah bc everytime we would put him down, he would cry and I couldn't take it.. What I do, is I let him cry for 5-10mins and if he's still crying after that, go in, check on him make sure all his needs are met and let him CIO some more.. Eventually he got to where he would cry himself to sleep around 5mins at most and we got better at understanding what he wanted/needed.. Good luck mama! Hearing them cry is the hardest!

majikalmama
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM
O ok. Thanks lol. I'm not very good at this neither. We tried this un order to ween my daughter lol she is still breastfeeding.

Quoting kno4eva:

cry it out

Quoting majikalmama:

What is CIO?

Quoting housefullofkidz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelluvgoddess
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I dont believe in CIO I think its to harsh and cruel. But I also co-sleep to

Dajennible
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I started the cry it out (CIO) method at 3 months though my son was sleeping through the night at 2 months so it wasn't a huge deal. My suggestions are these.

1.) Feed him a little more before bed. Don't stuff him like a holiday ham though! That'll just cause a tummyache and have the both of you up all night. Add maybe another 1/4 cup serving to whatever he's eating or if he's on formula add about an ounce. If dinner isn't close to bedtime then give him a snack or dessert of some kind 20 minutes before you put him down. Just something extra to top off the tank so he doesn't wake up hungry.

2) Wear him out! If you usually try a soothing technique like storytime or rocking to sleep then stop. If he's not tired he'll have a harder time going to sleep and staying asleep. Try high energy activities. Tickling/flying around the room/chasing him/dancing with him until he give you the cue that he's done. Then you can give him a bath and put him to bed. If you do it right he'll be too tired to protest.

If those don't work then the zoo is having a sale on small and medium tranquilizers this week ^__^

good luck!

MommyToBeOfTwo
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 5:54 PM
I know this might sound bad but my son was like that and I finally just would go take my shower and he would cry himself to sleep but we don't give him a bottle in his crib either we feed him before he goes down.just had to let him do it and then I cried the first few times I had to do it.after a week he stopped.GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)