Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about dilation

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

I went to the hospital yesterday because i thought i had broke my water ( i did not.)

Let me say now that I don't feel that my doctor nor his staff are particularly competent. Last week my doc did a cervical exam and simply told me i was not in labor (gee thanks). About 2 months ago one of his nurses told me i was 1 centimeter effaced (?) i know what effaced means but i have never heard of effacement being measured in centimeters. Anyway, yesterday at the hospital, the nurse did a cervical exam and this is what she told me, "I can fit the tip of my finger into your cervix, but i can't feel the baby's head, so you aren't opening." Can someone explain this and the effacement comment to me? I was under the impression that a fingertip meant you were 1 centimeter dilated. Can effacement be measured in centimeters? If not, what in god's name was this woman trying to say? I hate that these people can't give me a clear answer on what my body is doing. Not only that, but in the past 2 months they have changed by due date 3 times. It went from July 21st to the July 5th. So, i was under the impression that this monday i would be 39 weeks along. At 38 weeks she weighed 6 pounds 5 ounces. Only to be told last Wednesday that the changes don't matter (!!) and the first one is prolly the correct one. So maybe i'm not 38 weeks, maybe i'm 35 weeks. Can a 35 weeker weigh that much?? This means that i could go to the beginning of August before they induce me...I already took my damn maternity leave 2 weeks ago based on what they were telling me, and i only get 6 weeks... and if what they said about the due date is true and the changes don't matter, THEN WHY TELL ME ABOUT ANY CHANGE AT ALL?? I have been in tears for days because i feel like i just have no clue what is going with my baby and my body. I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW FAR ALONG I REALLY AM ANYMORE.  They hooked me up to the monitor and i was having contractions every ten minutes, but i couldn't feel them. I'm so discouraged...

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kameka
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM

If you have a choice I would definitely find a new doctor!  And why is a nurse doing anything like that at all?  Is she a nurse practitioner?  Effacement is measured in percentage and yeah, a fingertip is 1 cm.  I'm just as confused as you.  Find a new doctor asap!

iloveconan
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM

OMG, I would never let those people into my vagina again... I have no advice, but I feel for you.

Lilmom182
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Doctors are constantly changing due dates because it not an exact scicence.  I have had mine changed a week later.  When they do a sonogram, they are going off of average measurements, but not every woman or baby is the same.  I mean I'm 4'9" and they tell me the baby is measuring large.  Well duh I'm not an average sized woman.  I know its late in the pregnancy but go and get a different opinion if you can.  That does suck though about maturnity leave.  When the baby is ready it'll definately let you know.  Good luck.

grapejelly
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM

wow they are giving you all sorts of weird info....

i'd find a new doctor

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

The fingertip comment means that you are less than 1cm actually. I'm pretty sure that effacement is NOT measured in cm's. I'm sorry they're putting you through this, it does sound like NO ONE has a clue what's going on.. *hugs*

MEGAN Group MOD

Proud Member of Work It Out Sexy Mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)