Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Picking out a carseat

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM
  • 17 Replies

Are there any carseats that you love, or any you'd stay away from?  I don't have a lot of money, so I'm also looking for a good deal on one.

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lbluv20
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:02 AM

An infant carseat? or for an older child?

If your looking for a good seat for not to much, id go with baby trend.. they have excellent ratings and are very afforadable.

If money isnt an option, Chicco has a fantastic seat but its a bit pricy,

I have a graco, it was also quite afforadable and good safety rating.

Id stay away from evenflo but that is only because i have had personally bad expereiences with them. Others really like them. If you just google carseat ratings, you will find lots of great info.

CafeMom Tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
brandy8422
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Thanks.  I'm looking for an infant carseat, forgot to mention that!

shellie830
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM

I personally love Graco brand everything... You can always find really good deals @ Babies R Us they usually have some on clearance and right now the baby gear is 20% off! I got a brand new one yesterday orig price $129 on clearance for $104.90 we ended up paying $78.56 for it!! Good luck finding a great safe carseat!

mama2mycuties
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I would stay away from evenflo....the handle is required to be down in the car with 1 1/2 inches of clearance between handle and the front seats...this leads to this seat being one of the least likely to be installed and used correctly everytime.

It depends on how long you want to use the seat....do you plan on extended rear facing? do you mind carrying an infant seat with a large baby in it or are you likely to want to change to a convertible early on? you could always go with a convertible from birth as well if you wear baby in a sling.

My favorite seats are graco and chicco :)

MommyRJ
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:59 AM
Graco also has to be down.

I have evenflo, I always use evenflo. I LOVE evenflo and have never had an issue, they have ratings that are good and they are very affordable.

My 2nd choice would be baby trend for sure and then if I had money chicco

I personally don't like graco seats but its just the handle so that's why haha, it hurts to carry on your arm.

I would go play with some at a store and see what you like then go look online at safety ratings and consumer reports

Quoting mama2mycuties:

I would stay away from evenflo....the handle is required to be down in the car with 1 1/2 inches of clearance between handle and the front seats...this leads to this seat being one of the least likely to be installed and used correctly everytime.

It depends on how long you want to use the seat....do you plan on extended rear facing? do you mind carrying an infant seat with a large baby in it or are you likely to want to change to a convertible early on? you could always go with a convertible from birth as well if you wear baby in a sling.

My favorite seats are graco and chicco :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherri8806
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:08 AM

http://www.target.com/Chicco-KeyFit-Infant-Carseat-Base/dp/B001OD53OU this is the one we have and I love it! Although it is pretty pricy. Graco has really great infant seats with low cost. Good luck!

shellie830
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:09 AM

I was told by a nurse when getting discharged after having my son that all carseats have to have both the canopy and handle down when riding in the car for safety reasons. Is that true? I have always lived by that rule but have seen people everywhere with them up.... But I understand the Evenflo has to be a certain distance from the seat it is in front of? Aren't they supposed to be in the center of the backseat? Why is it all sooo confusing??!!

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:28 AM

My kids all have Britax seats! I love them alot!

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:30 AM

I like Graco but they do tend to be a bit heavy..

MEGAN Group MOD

Proud Member of Work It Out Sexy Mama!

Savannahsmom208
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:40 AM
I had graco, but now I am a big fan of baby trend!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)