Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP, FIREEEEEEEE!!! (piog)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

I am on fire!! Or at least it feels that way. We spent 4 hours at the beach today and this is the first real sun exposure I've gotten this summer. Every year I will burn a little bit, but that fades and then I get pretty brown. I am 28 weeks pregnant so lots of medications are out. While pregnant with my daughter 3 summers ago I got the worst sunburn of my life - blisters and misery :( I've always heard that when one's eggo is preggo, sun sensitivity is common, but it didn't seem to effect me during my first two pregnancies...just these last two. I'm not as miserable as a few years ago, but it's pretty bad. The kids got brown, with a little bit of pink, but nothing like red and painful Mama, THANK GOODNESS.

Any tried and true, safe remedies for getting the burn and/or red out?

Thanks in advance!!

and btw, yes, I did wear sunscreen (50 spf even). This is just insane!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:16 AM

no fun!!!!! Look for the aloe vera goo with lidocaine in it. It really helps take the burn down and out. Safeway used to have a generic brand that worked fantastically.

06NavyWife

Aloe Vera

ArmyWife430

idk. I burnt bad the other day too. I just kept lotion on it to keep it moisturized. 

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Thanks! I've been using aloe but did not know there was one with lidocaine. If I can put on real clothing tomorrow. I'll be in search!

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Oh no! My daughter feels the same way tonight except she isn't pregnant.  Have you tried an aloe Vera plant and using the aloe Vera straight from the leaves?

momto1girl3boys
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Oh that does not sound fun! If you can get your hands on an aloe vera plant it works so much better than buying the gel. The processing takes out a lot of the healing capabilities out of the original plant.  I hope you have a  speedy recovery. Take care!

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Thank you both! I don't have an actual plant, but I will find one tomorrow! I'm desperate :(

Online I read one person's suggestion of vinegar. Then the next suggestion said do not use vinegar, lol. I'm so confused!!

MommyRJ
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM
You can rub down with vinegar. It takes the sting out. And aquaphor every hour
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shellie830
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM

That aloe with lidocaine in it is a lifesaver! Maybe you should put it in the freezer (after using it once). It is blue rather than green and you can also take Tylenol for the pain I have tried in the past Noxezema and it didn't work I also tried my mom's cure white vinegar rubbed in NOPE! They make 100 Spf now I use Banana Boat for kids it works great! Good luck and stay cool! 

HereWeGoAgain9
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:29 AM

How old is your daughter? Poor thing....no matter what, it's so much worse for a child :( I sure hope she feels better ASAP!!!

My boys got a little pink, but mostly just a sun-kissed look. They are doing fine. My daughters, one of whom has quite naturally olive skin, got pink in the tummy and lower back area because they wore tankinis today. Normally they are in one piece swim suits and these do cover them well, but I guess with playing and swimming their suits rode up a little and exposed more tummy than the sunscreen covered. They don't seem to notice at all, thankfully. I know I sprayed myself more than once, but I guess I am pretty diligent at spraying them down way more often.

ouch, ouch ouch

Quoting housefullofkidz:

Oh no! My daughter feels the same way tonight except she isn't pregnant.  Have you tried an aloe Vera plant and using the aloe Vera straight from the leaves?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)