Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think there is enough time?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM
  • 13 Replies

Im going into the hospital Tuesday evening at 5pm to get started on Cervidil and then the dr said Wednesday he will break my water and start pitocin.  This is new for me, but one of the moms on here said that Cervidil gets left in until you are dilated and in active labor. DH is 5 hrs away working and wasnt planning on coming back into town until 11ish tuesday night but he wasnt going to come to the hospital until wednesday morning probably around 10ish. (the hospital is another 45 minutes from were we live.) Do you think there is enough time for him not to come until late wednesday night?

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyziegler
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:12 AM

they will take the cervadill out before they break your water and start pitocin. cervadil is only good for 12hrs anyways. They would never leave in it while your in active labor. And if the cervadil puts you in labor they take it out immediately. But you are going to want your husband there in the morning. Especially since this is your second

sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM

BUMP!

grapejelly
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM

BUMP!

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:08 PM

They will take it out before they break your water or it falls out because of active labor, sometimes it takes the full 12 hours for it to work but sometimes it doesn't.  I got mine at midnight and was in active labor a few hours later and I am pretty sure fully dilated by 10:30 in the morning.  It really depends on your response to the cervadil if it works well you may not even need to have your water broken or pitocin.  I didn't my body did everything on its own after the cervadil kick started it. 

i.love.my.life
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:12 PM

My cervadil went in twice.  The first time it was in for 3hours, didnt make any change at all so they took it out and sent me home.  Went in later that night for a second dose that they left in for another 3hours and when I still made no change they set up a day to induce.

amy31308
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM

How long was your first labor? It's pretty common for your 2nd labor to be cut in half in time. MY first was 8 hours, second was 3 but I was already dialated to 4-5 with both. I personally would want him there ASAP. Labors can be different and fast. I went from 6 to 10 in two hours. So you just never know how fast it could be.

klg25
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM

So, my dr. tried to induce me and what they did was, insert the cervadil at 9 pm, then the next morning around 9 am the next morning they took it out and started the pitocin. By noon (right around the time my dr. told me he was going to break my waters soon) my water broke on it's own! I honestly believe that the cervadil made a lot happen in the 12 hours it was in me. While it was in, overnight I felt VERY crampy and had mild contractions. I mean, everyone is different...I ended up a failed induction and had a C-section anyway! Hehe. Overall good experience tho! Good luck!

sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM

hmm.....   heres my history with DS..... I was dialated to 2cms at 38 weeks with DS. My water broke at 38 weeks at midnight and when I went into the hospital 9 hours later, I was still only at 2 CM. They gave me a strong does of pitocin but even with that, I wasnt fully dilated until 9:30 that night.... so it took me 12 hrs with intervention to get fully dilated to 10cm......so it seems that even with intervention, my body struggles to progress quickly on its own. At my last dr appt, i was only 1cm.....

Quoting truealaskanmom:

They will take it out before they break your water or it falls out because of active labor, sometimes it takes the full 12 hours for it to work but sometimes it doesn't.  I got mine at midnight and was in active labor a few hours later and I am pretty sure fully dilated by 10:30 in the morning.  It really depends on your response to the cervadil if it works well you may not even need to have your water broken or pitocin.  I didn't my body did everything on its own after the cervadil kick started it. 

sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM

were you given cervidil and then sent home?

Quoting i.love.my.life:

My cervadil went in twice.  The first time it was in for 3hours, didnt make any change at all so they took it out and sent me home.  Went in later that night for a second dose that they left in for another 3hours and when I still made no change they set up a day to induce.

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Quoting sparklebug86:

hmm.....   heres my history with DS..... I was dialated to 2cms at 38 weeks with DS. My water broke at 38 weeks at midnight and when I went into the hospital 9 hours later, I was still only at 2 CM. They gave me a strong does of pitocin but even with that, I wasnt fully dilated until 9:30 that night.... so it took me 12 hrs with intervention to get fully dilated to 10cm......so it seems that even with intervention, my body struggles to progress quickly on its own. At my last dr appt, i was only 1cm.....

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Keep in mind that with your first you have PROM which doesn't mean labor.  If you weren't contracting after your water broke that would be why.  Cervadil is supposed to get your cervix to be more favorable because usually once your cervix starts to change it will trigger contractions which will continue the cervical changes.  Honestly your labor wasn't that long for a first labor even with pitocin helping.  My advice is that if the cervadil doesn't work and you don't have cervical change have them send you home and try again the next day or so, because if your cervix is being stubborn and they break your water and do pitocin you are at a much much higher risk of a c-section because of it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)