Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LO help??

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM
  • 4 Replies
For those who have a smaller gap between children how do you get your LO to understand what's going on? Ds is almost 17 months old and will be 21 months when the baby is born and he doesn't understand! I'm so worried he'll be rough with the baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MommyToBeOfTwo
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:17 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat.My DS is 14 months and will be 21 months when our next baby is born.I have that same fear that he isn't going to understand and try and be too rough.I'm sure there are gonna be the jealous and sibling rivalry moments(it was bad between my 2 younger sister and they are 2 yrs apart)I just don't plan on giving my DS the opportunity to get rough.I'm just hoping it will all be ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asil
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM

my girls are 16 months apaprt.  while my oldest didn't seem to know what was going on for a while, she ended up being really great with her baby sister, or ignoring her all together! ha! there were few jealous moments.

we did a few things to prepare, we started her "alone" time with us... i give her a bath, no one else allowed and daddie reads her a bed time story, no one else allowed.  she got used to this being "our" time and we continued that when lil sis came.  she enjoyed it.  We also started trying to get her to learn to "wait a minute please" so that if I was nursing and she wanted/needed something she knew that it would really be just a minute until someone could tend to her needs.  it really helped out, since only children are used to more instant gratification.

we also bought her a doll, which she totally beat up on until her sis came... then she started to cuddle and love her...

really she learned to be a big sister as we learned to deal with having two.  there were moments when she didn't understand why baby was so little (came home at 4 pounds) or why baby couldn't play with her... but she figured it out quickly.

i''m due with baby #3 in january and i'm worried about adding another... my girls will be 3 and just 2 years when baby comes... we have some work to do with both of them to get them used to the idea of another baby...

lette_with_2
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

try and bring him around other babies if you can. that way  he will know when the time comes how to act around the new baby

lette_with_2
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM

maybe you can start takin him to ultra sound appointments if you dont already, and get him a baby doll, i know boys are not "supposed" to play with dolls but it helps for him to have something to take care of as well, that is what my god sons parents did when they were gettin ready for number 2 (but my god son was 3 when she got prego) it doesnt have to be a girly doll, he had a baby elmo. good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)