Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a mucas plug?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM
  • 3 Replies

What is a mucas plug? When does it fall out? How do you know when it has fallen out? I've had 2 kids and it's sad cause I don't know what a mucas plug is or when its supposed to fall out....Funny huh oh well I'm about 29 wks 1day along and....Don't really know what to expect with this one everything is different I was having contractions last night they was hard comming and about 6 min apart was that false labor? Never had the thing's thats going on with my otehr 2 like I'm having with this one? HELP!!!!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mstevens10
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Its just what it says... its a plug that closes off the cervix made of mucous. It falls out *usually* once you begin to dialate .. some women lose it really early but it can re form. Sometimes you will see a big glob of goo that is blood tinged but other times you won't notice it bc it goes in the toilet or you lose it piece by piece and never notice it. It just helps keep the bad stuff out and away from the baby

grapejelly
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

lots of women don't notice whene they lose it, some lose it over time, some lose it during labor... so there is no easy answer for you sorry!

Littlemama82
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I saw my mucous plug come out with my daughter, who was born at 33 weeks. It happened the week before I went into labor and I just wrote it off as, well, another weird thing that happens when you are preggo I guess b/c I had no clue about it.  It looked kinda like a calamari, just not fried:) I had no blood or pinkish color with it at all. But it's different with everybody so there's not a clear cut answer.  If you keep having contractions and they don't go away, I'd go get checked, better safe than sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)