Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Induction and c-sections

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM
  • 107 Replies

I am willing to bet that in the next 5 years 90% of all labors will be induced or c-sections.  I cannot believe how many posts I see about being induced, or scheduling a c-section.  Why oh why can we not just leave our babies alone and let them do what they need to do?  I also don't buy the mine is medically necessary crap either only a small percentage really are medically necessary the others are just convenience based with some medical need stated which really isn't a medical need at all.  

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:37 PM

For Americans, I agree.     
Unless something dramatic happens at the request of the consumer.      AHEM!

lol!

;-P

Why can't we?   Mostly it's the Super-Size Me generation, I would guess...   
When we truly want what is safest we work harder for it.  
What is "best" is up for interpretation...     But safest is generally cut & dry.

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Good point.  I am just floored at it.  In my mind I see an assembly line of women on hospital bed tied to monitors they stop at one station for their epidural, the next for cytotec, and the next for the pitocin then all in a big room together laboring, then 12 hours later if you haven't delivered off to the OR for you.  It disturbs me greatly

joheilismom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM

i was induced the first tim becouse my blood pressure was high. I'm hoping i can go natural this time not becouse i regret being induced becouse honestly i didn't feel a thing and i was happy the whole time, but becouse that is the way its suppose to be. I want to experience my water breaking and feeling contractions like other people do. I feel like i missed something.  

doulala
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Good point.  I am just floored at it.  In my mind I see an assembly line of women on hospital bed tied to monitors they stop at one station for their epidural, the next for cytotec, and the next for the pitocin then all in a big room together laboring, then 12 hours later if you haven't delivered off to the OR for you.  It disturbs me greatly

The more I read about Maternity Care, the more the "assembly line" analogy becomes appropriate.

:-(

...the obstetric community has been overly zealous in ‘treating’ a

normal physiological process and has been triggering many of the

medical crises that lead to cesarean surgery. Greater adherence to

evidence-based medicine would drop the national cesarean rate

dramatically. Obstetricians and hospitals have found that

high-intervention birth, warranted or not, is very profitable. So there

is a tremendous financial incentive to bypass the clinically optimal

approach, and opt for convenience and profit. For example, many

hospitals across the country have eliminated facility-based midwifery

practices simply because the low-intervention approach, while

clinically sound, does not bring in as many dollars.

- Tonya Jamois, president of ICAN

$13 to $20 billion a year could be saved in health care costs by
demedicalizing childbirth, developing midwifery, and encouraging
breastfeeding.
- Frank Oski, MD, Professor and Director,
Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore,
MD

doulala
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Quoting joheilismom:

i was induced the first tim becouse my blood pressure was high. I'm hoping i can go natural this time not becouse i regret being induced becouse honestly i didn't feel a thing and i was happy the whole time, but becouse that is the way its suppose to be. I want to experience my water breaking and feeling contractions like other people do. I feel like i missed something.  

There is certainly something about the experience, absolutely.    But regarding what is generally safest, this can often be avoided.    If you are working to stay in a healthy BP range (maybe strict Brewer Diet or whatever), you can avoid pre-e and induction.

Good luck!

:-)

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

AlishaRenee
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I agree and i think it sucks that dr's like my old one really pushed me to be induced... thank goodness i went into labor a few hours before i was to be induced lol!!

DaniJones86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:05 PM

And honestly I get tired of seeing post like this. about women getting induced and choosing what they feel is what they want. every one is entitled to their opinion but a lot of times post come across as making a mom who is being induced look like a bad mother or woman because of it. It is one thing to express an opinion but to keep pushing it and shoving it in peoples faces and down their throats is wrong.

I see the whole inducing thing as your body is being pushed into doing something is isn;'t ready for and all, yes I do agree it is best. BUT I also don't see induction as a horrible thing either.

DaniJones86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Not saying YOU are pushing and all that. just these post in general. And you are entitled to your opinion...

mommy2dallas602
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I agree. I was soo upset with my labor because when i went in i was 2cm and instead of letting me go and labor at home they kept me and started me on pitocin for like a day, only gave me an hour to push and sure enough i was gettin wheeled away to the csection room...ugh...

wilesmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:10 PM
Yu are right. With my first I went in for a non stress test and then and ultra sound and there wasn't as much amniotic fluid as there should be so I decided to be induced for the saftey of my baby. My second was breach and my doctor even offered to try and turn her around but I was not going to risk her getting strangled. This time around I am hoping for a natural VBAC. Possibly even a water birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)