Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does a contraction feel like??

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I am pregnant with my 2nd baby but I have no clue what a contraction feels like because with my son I had a c section that was scheduled...

I have been getting these sharp pains that shoot up my woo hoo for the lack of a better term, lol. Is that just me stretching from the baby moving or is that a braxton hicks??

Please be as detailed as possible, I'm easily confused haha

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chell.chell
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sparkina13
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM

BUMP!

cheffiecms
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM

i get that sometimes too, I have been in premature labor for 5 weeks now. I tend to get them when I do too much so I think it's from the contractions but it could also be from the baby moving around down there getting ready. How far along are you? Some contractions you don't really feel much but if you put your hand on your belly its rock hard. Other contractions make it hard to breath and you just feel really uncomfortable. But I am only 29 weeks, so I can't tell you what they feel like near the end yet! 

Paige-0
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM

the shooting pain is a round ligement pain, i get them all the time, my braxton hicks contractions feel like my stomach is squeezing itself and your whole belly gets hard as a rock, thats what my doctor told my and when i have them thats what they feel like, i hope this helps :)

Kelseyciarah
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:50 PM

BUMP!

kricketcarr
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I am 30 weeks and its a girl, they say girls come earlier than boys so maybe she's getting ready, lol.

Quoting cheffiecms:

i get that sometimes too, I have been in premature labor for 5 weeks now. I tend to get them when I do too much so I think it's from the contractions but it could also be from the baby moving around down there getting ready. How far along are you? Some contractions you don't really feel much but if you put your hand on your belly its rock hard. Other contractions make it hard to breath and you just feel really uncomfortable. But I am only 29 weeks, so I can't tell you what they feel like near the end yet! 

kricketcarr
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM

thats how my belly feels after I am at work for 8 hours.. I work in an auto body shop (not on cars, I write the orders and manage the guys work flow and make sure they are doing their jobs right) so I am on my feet the whole 8 hours and I feel like I am ready to pop when I go home, but I think thats just from being tired right? That wouldnt necessarily be a contraction I dont think.

Quoting Paige-0:

the shooting pain is a round ligement pain, i get them all the time, my braxton hicks contractions feel like my stomach is squeezing itself and your whole belly gets hard as a rock, thats what my doctor told my and when i have them thats what they feel like, i hope this helps :)

kricketcarr
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM

So for the other moms wondering the same thing, I found these testimonies on another forum.. thought I would share

My early, early contractions felt like menstrual cramping combined with Braxton-Hicks-type tightening. – Lindsey

Mine were nowhere near cramps, just intense pain. You will know because they will begin to get stronger, closer and longer. Start timing them and call you doctor when they get close and consistent! – Lisa

When I went into labor I thought that I had eaten something bad — you know the pains you get when your stomach is REALLY upset and you have to keep going to the washroom? They were totally not what I expected, so I wasn’t even sure if I was in labor or not until we got to the hospital. – Jaime

The ones where I knew I was in labor were the tighting ones, but mostly at the bottom of my belly where I would get menstrual ones. My Braxton-Hicks feel like just an all around tighting of my belly. – Melissa

All I can say is that it’s definitely cramping, but you know the difference because they’re intense and come in waves. I couldn’t think about anything but getting through the contraction, and I was holding onto the side of the bed, praying they would check me soon so I could get my epidural. You’ll know the difference when it’s the real thing — trust me. They get more and more intense! – Misty

When you get a contraction, YOU WILL KNOW. I know everyone says that, but believe me, I recognized the first one I got. It was intense and definitely painful. The second most distinct thing about a contraction is that it is a “wave.” It has a definite start and finish to it. Once it is over, you will feel intense relief and wonder, “Was I really just in pain?” Then you will feel another starting and you know it’s going to be painful… My contractions were not like my menstrual cramps. They were as if my stomach was being knotted up from inside. – Elisabeth

I personally wouldn’t describe a contraction as a sharp pain at all. In the early stages, they start out as bad menstrual cramps in your belly and back. Then in the late stages, the only way I can describe it is like 1000 times worse than the worst diarrhea cramps that you’ve ever had. – leeshalynn

My Braxton-Hicks were like tightening, and then the real ones added menstural like cramping to the top of them. The “real ones” also were easy to time: every 6 minutes, every 4 minutes, etc. The Braxton-Hicks were very irregular… 14 minutes, 8 minutes, 20 minutes. – CW

Mine start off like period cramps and then spread up my sides and to my back, all the while making my belly hard. but I think we all experience them differently. – Livvah

Even if they’re somewhat regular, Braxton-Hicks generally don’t hold a real good pattern, such as getting closer together and staying that way. But as a BTDT mom times three, I can tell you that Braxton-Hicks can be VERY painful at times. I would have some that I could just barely talk through, BUT …. when it turned into “real” labor, I noticed that the pain far outweighed that tightening sensation and the cramping was also included. It’s so hard to explain, but sometimes you just know. It’s like a sixth sense sort of thing. – Mary

grapejelly
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM

BUMP!

Mrs.Loeffel
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

When I went into labor with DD, i automatically knew. And the feeling was VERY faint! It started out feeling some pressure on my pelvic area. Then it would go away. Then it started to feel like faint period cramps; getting stronger as time went by. That's all I can compare it too...period cramps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)