Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTH.... Vent

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM
  • 3 Replies

So first off my son is Autistic and when you tell him something he expects it and wants nothing more until he sees it or gets it or whatever! So for the past three weeks, my sis- in- law has called and told him she is going to bring my niece over for him to play with since both my girls have been on the go all summer and he never leaves my side. And of course something always comes up and she never shows! Well, last weekend she called and canceled cuz she said my brother was busy so I just got in the truck and went to her house. Hour away! We spent the whole day there and actually had a blast. Well today my son asked if they would come over and go swimming cuz we just go ta new pool. Well i call and she said oh yea cool sounds fun! and then says we could have a cookout and everything! sounds fun!! Well i didnt have any steak so i went to the store and bought some for us and then when i got home i realized i didnt have gas in my grill so i called her and she said she would bring her tank. well my son wanted to go swimming so bad today and sat on the side of the pool for two hours waiting on them before i could convince him just to get in. after about ten min, he got out and sat in our driveway for the rest of the afternooon waiting! I called her several times and every time it was we are coming its just gunna be a bit! At 7 oclock she finally calls and says they arent coming! All my meat is frozen except the steak i bought and cant cook on the grill and my son has now been sitting in the yard half the day waiting on them!! Ugh im so sick of this! my mom does him the same way! she will promise him she is gunna come see him and never show up! Im so ready just to tell everyone not to even bother with making plans with us because when they never show up, im the one stuck trying to explain to a child that already has relationship problems, why they not only didnt come but why they lied to him! in his mind, things dont come up... when you say your coming and you dont... u lied to him!!! UGh!! Im so upset but I really dont know how to tell her.........

Autism is not a tragedy..... Ignorance is!!

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Rav3ness
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:54 PM
sorry to hear that! i can see why you are so frustrated. do they tell him directly, or do you tell him company is coming? just wondering because maybe you can not say anything and if they show, then its a surprise for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dodeem
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM

It depends on who it is. Like my mom, he calls her all the time and she will tell him she will come "tomorrow" and he will get up the next day and wait by the door for her even if she said she was coming after lunch! But most of the time she still never comes! As for my sister-n-law, today, he asked me to call and when I called he asked if they would come ad she said yes they were coming and so I told him they were so he would calm down and have something to look forward to today since he was sooo bore! Believe me... I will not tell him if anyone says they will come! I dont make plans often because if they do fall thru I have to deal with him crying half the day cuz someone lied to him. I wish fo r one day they could see the effect they have on him when they do this to him!! But at the same time, I dont know how to tell them without getting them pissed at me because if I say anything right now, it WILL come out wrong and mean! I just dont get why they cant just tell him no they cant! She even said thru out the day they were still coming until 7 when I called and asked again and she canceled! UGH

Quoting Rav3ness:

sorry to hear that! i can see why you are so frustrated. do they tell him directly, or do you tell him company is coming? just wondering because maybe you can not say anything and if they show, then its a surprise for him.

Autism is not a tragedy..... Ignorance is!!

grapejelly
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM

that is awful.  Can you explain to them how your son reacts when they do this?  or do they already know and not seem to care?  I know things come up in people's lives, but you think they'd have some consideration

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)