Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Postpartum pelvic pain/pressure

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know if your pelvis can separate or beome misaligned during birth?  I am 9 days PP- my daughter was 8 lbs 14 ounces and came out facing up.  I had some pelvic pain during pregnancy- nothing out of the ordinary though.  Now that my episiotomy has healed significantly, I have this new problem of excruciating pain in the front of my pelvis, at the pelvic symphysis.  I did a bit of research online, and the description of the pain seems to match the description for pelvic misalignment or symphysis pelvic dysfunction (SPD).  The only thing is that all the sites I've found talk about having SPD or pelvic misalignment during pregnancy, and then it carrying on into postpartum... and I did not have it during the pregnancy.  SO I was just wondering if anyone knew if it could become misaligned during birth, especially a particularly difficult birth.  Thanks!

MAGGIE

• wife to Chris (married 03/21/2009)
  • mother to Allison (03/07/2008) and Katelyn (06/18/2010)

I am a 26 year old cloth-diapering, breastfeeding, Christian, anti-CIO, spanking when necessary, mother of two beautiful little girls who believes in acknowledging her children as small people in need of an education- about everything.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CAMKsMom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I didn't experience exactly what you are speaking of but I developed a back problem a couple months postpartum.  I wrote about it on here asking if that was normal and to my surprise there were a handful of women who told me that their doctors advised them it's possible to break your back or tailbone during delivery.  So, I would imagine it's not much of a leap for a woman to go through what you are going through.  I hope that you feel better soon and that you are able to figure out what is going on and get some relief.

mss119
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Thanks!  I have a friend who broke her tailbone during delivery, and actually didn't know until a few months later.  SO I figured it was possible, but wanted to see if anyone else had been there or knew about it.  I'll call me OB tomorrow to see what, if anything, I should/can do.

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I don't know but here's a bump!

sparklebug86
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:03 PM

perhaps you did have it during pregnancy but werent bothered by it.....

mrseckstein
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I don't know this has never happened to me. I hope you feel better and get some relief.

mss119
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I suppose that's possible- I hadn't thought of that.  Maybe the birth just made it worse or something.

Quoting sparklebug86:

perhaps you did have it during pregnancy but werent bothered by it.....

MAGGIE

• wife to Chris (married 03/21/2009)
  • mother to Allison (03/07/2008) and Katelyn (06/18/2010)

I am a 26 year old cloth-diapering, breastfeeding, Christian, anti-CIO, spanking when necessary, mother of two beautiful little girls who believes in acknowledging her children as small people in need of an education- about everything.

mss119
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I went in to the OB today, everything is healing up perfectly and there's no sign of infection.  They are concerned bc on top of the pelvic pain, my bleeding picked up again yesterday (had been turning brown for a few days, but then all of a sudden was BRIGHT red again, and the flow was much heavier).  SO I am going to have an ultrasound done tomorrow just to rule out the possibility that I retained some tissue from the pregnancy, but the OB I saw doesn't think that this happened, but he wants to check just in case.  

Regarding the pelvic pain, he said IF there was tissue retained in my uterus, it could be causing the pain, but otherwise, it's very likely I dislocated my pelvis, given the size of my baby (almost 9 lbs) and the difficulty of the birth.  If my pelvis is dislocated, then only time will heal it, so I'll just have to suffer and wait :(

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Sounds like you have a weakened pelvic floor and possible misalignment.  I would do kegels and pelvic rocks on a ball or the floor and go see a chiropractor to put you back in place 

My4Marvels
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM

I had SPD while pregnant with my last one and mine also came out sunnyside up. My pelvic pain stayed close to 5 weeks after i had him.

Co-Owner of THE FORT SMITH PINK LADIES Come join if you live around this area*

palemoon21
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM

If it is misaligned then you'll need to see a chiroprator to adjust you and put it back in place.

I have heard of people having injuries during labor/birthing.....if you were lying on your back, it can cause your tailbone to break....pelvis to misalign as well as many other things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)