• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Owwweee!! Mastitus!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

I just found out this week that my pain in my breasts was due to Mastitus. But the weird thing is that I haven't had my son yet. My doctor is very confused and is doing everything he can to get the infection to go away but he says it's going to be tough because I have decided not to breastfeed and so breastfeeding and pumping are out of the question right now. I'm 8 weeks away from having my son and I'm in the worst pain imaginable. Seriously ladies, I choose labor and delivery over this any day!!!!

Married to the man of my dreams, Zackary Kyle since March 13, 2007.
Loving our precious daughter, Emilee Grace born May 4, 2005.
Can't wait to meet our baby boy, Cash Ryder due August 21, 2010.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
doulala
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Have you tried pressing that spot and massaging under how water in the shower?
Why not breastfeed, just wondered...

• Use heat & gentle massage before nursing
    - Warm compress. Try using a disposable diaper: fill the diaper with hot water (try the temperature on your wrist first to avoid burns), squeeze the diaper out a bit, then put the inside of the diaper toward the breast. This will stay warm much longer than a wet cloth.
    - Basin soak. Fill sink or bowl with hot water and submerge breast in water while massaging the plugged area toward the nipple. Some report better results when epsom salts are added to the water -- add a handful of epsom salts per 2 quarts (2 liters) of water. Rinse with fresh water before nursing, as baby may object to the taste.
    - Hot Shower. It can be helpful to massage in the shower with a large-toothed comb. The comb should be drawn through a bar of soap until it is very soapy and then used to gently massage over the affected area in the direction of the nipple.
  • Loosen bra & any constrictive clothing to aid milk flow.

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

Megara
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Mastitis can turn into a breast abcess if not taken care of.  Is there a reason why you don't why to try breastfeeding or even pumping?

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM

I agree the best way is to get the flow going so it unclogs and gets the infection out. 

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:35 AM

It is very painful. That is crazy you got it before your little one. I hope it goes away soon!

shellie830
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:52 AM

Could you just pump till it goes away? Then after the baby comes just not nurse?

queenamy
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:57 AM

I was going to ask or say the same thing.

Quoting shellie830:

Could you just pump till it goes away? Then after the baby comes just not nurse?

Amy

Parent to Nadia(RIP 09/05-11/09), Sasha, and expecting #3!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)