• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Double standard... spin off from earring post

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: newborn boys and girls: circumcisions and ear piercings

Options:

NO I wouldnt pierce a girls ears and NO I wouldnt circumcise a boy

NO I wouldnt pierce a girls ears and YES I would circumcise a boy

YES I would pierce a girls ears and YES I would circumcise a boy

YES I would pierce a girls ears and NO I wouldnt circumcise a boy

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 42

View Results

I see so many moms say "no I wouldnt pierce a baby's ears" so I want to know the following:

If it were a boy, would you circumcise?

The AAP does not consider circumcisiion medically necessary, so for the sake of arguement and this post, lets say they are BOTH purely cosmetic procedures.

"Scientific studies show some medical benefits of circumcision. However, these benefits are not sufficient for the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) to recommend that all infant boys be circumcised. "

^ http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/bathing-skin-care/pages/Care-for-an-Uncircumcised-Penis.aspx there is the link, its a redirection from aap.org

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
num2ontheway222
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I pierced my daughters ears and had my son circumcised...

christine.r2624
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM

my son is circumcised and I have mixed feelings about it. If I ever have another boy, I will probably still have it done.  I am currently pregnant with a girl and we plan to have her ears pierced too.

Quoting num2ontheway222:

Megara
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Well I guess I do have a bit of a double standard. I would pierce a baby girl's ears but I would NOT circumcise.  I'm hispanic, and it's part of my culture to pierce baby girls' ears.  But DH didn't agree, so we didn't.  IMHO it's not exactly the same because you can take the earrings out, so it's not entirely permanent.  Now, I am not Jewish, so I cannot say that circumcision is part of my culture.  I see it as elective cosmetic surgery, and it's not something that can be undone once you do it.  So we do not circumcise, if our son wants it when he's an adult he can get it done.

Pandana
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I did neither.

I can understand why some would pierce but not circumcise in that piercings are not permanent, and circumcision is.

Personally, I didn't circumcise because foreskin serves a purpose, and I wanted him to keep it for health reasons. It belongs there. And I didn't pierce because I think it's silly and pointless, and can't see inflicting unnecessary pain on an infant for the sake of vanity.

But it's always interesting to see why people feel the way they do about each and how they correlate. Interesting post.

Sweet_Holly
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM

well for whatever reason every one elses reason is for circumcising their son's idk.. but I do know whatever the american medical bs wants to call it cosmetic I find completely rude .. & they must fail to understand that since Jews we're 1st on this earth and the 1st religion.. it is a Jewish Custom to do so as it has been since forever. My Son is circumcised purely on ME being JEWISH as to will all future babies that are Boys. 

But yea I will prob pierce My Baby Girls ear.. not sure when but it will happen. 

❤♥RawR أنا جميل RawR♥❤

christine.r2624
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM

DH left it up to me to make the decision about earrings. I am the oldest of 6 kids- 4 girls, 2 boys. We all had to wait to get our ears pierced. every single one of us wished our moms would have done it as babies except my youngest sister who's mom did do it as an infant. (My dad married 3 times, so only 2 of us have the same mom).  my 17 yr old sister had terrible infections and her ears pierced/repierced 3 times. My 14 yr old sister has never had problems but just wanted hers done earlier (she and I both had ours done in 5th grade and have the same feelings about them).

Both my brothers were circumcised and when I had my son my mom told me to research it, but I was barely 18 and had never even seen an uncircumcised penis so I just did it, I thought it was standard. Apparently my now 13 yr old brother had major problems with his after birth and my mom says now she wouldnt have done it if she had known. He had the bell cap thing on his. My son had the actual surgery where they cut it off and its raw skin for like a week. diaper changes were awful, but he never had any medical complications from it. Hence why now I have mixed feelings. I hated him crying at every diaper change that first week, but besides that, no problems.

Quoting Megara:

Well I guess I do have a bit of a double standard. I would pierce a baby girl's ears but I would NOT circumcise.  I'm hispanic, and it's part of my culture to pierce baby girls' ears.  But DH didn't agree, so we didn't.  IMHO it's not exactly the same because you can take the earrings out, so it's not entirely permanent.  Now, I am not Jewish, so I cannot say that circumcision is part of my culture.  I see it as elective cosmetic surgery, and it's not something that can be undone once you do it.  So we do not circumcise, if our son wants it when he's an adult he can get it done.

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Quoting num2ontheway222:

same

siggi1bmp-1.jpg picture by us5dots

christine.r2624
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:28 PM

being a religious custom to me is totally different.  I just said for the sake of the post its "purely cosmetic" to see what people's response would be, since American doctors dont consider it to be medically necessary.

Quoting Sweet_Holly:

well for whatever reason every one elses reason is for circumcising their son's idk.. but I do know whatever the american medical bs wants to call it cosmetic I find completely rude .. & they must fail to understand that since Jews we're 1st on this earth and the 1st religion.. it is a Jewish Custom to do so as it has been since forever. My Son is circumcised purely on ME being JEWISH as to will all future babies that are Boys. 

But yea I will prob pierce My Baby Girls ear.. not sure when but it will happen. 

Megara
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:28 PM

My mom pierced my ears when I was 6 months old but neither one of my brothers are circ'ed and neither one has ever had a problem.

Quoting christine.r2624:

DH left it up to me to make the decision about earrings. I am the oldest of 6 kids- 4 girls, 2 boys. We all had to wait to get our ears pierced. every single one of us wished our moms would have done it as babies except my youngest sister who's mom did do it as an infant. (My dad married 3 times, so only 2 of us have the same mom).  my 17 yr old sister had terrible infections and her ears pierced/repierced 3 times. My 14 yr old sister has never had problems but just wanted hers done earlier (she and I both had ours done in 5th grade and have the same feelings about them).

Both my brothers were circumcised and when I had my son my mom told me to research it, but I was barely 18 and had never even seen an uncircumcised penis so I just did it, I thought it was standard. Apparently my now 13 yr old brother had major problems with his after birth and my mom says now she wouldnt have done it if she had known. He had the bell cap thing on his. My son had the actual surgery where they cut it off and its raw skin for like a week. diaper changes were awful, but he never had any medical complications from it. Hence why now I have mixed feelings. I hated him crying at every diaper change that first week, but besides that, no problems.

Quoting Megara:

truealaskanmom
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM
I pierced DD's ears when she was over a year, and I will not circ my son. Like Pandana said one is not permanent and piercing isn't removing a sensitive body part. I get what you are saying though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)