Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating right?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:03 PM
  • 7 Replies
I need some serious advice... I'm 4 months pregnant and I just recently went to a wic appointment and they told me I am underweight and that I'm not eating right, the thing is, I'm hardly ever hungry and I get caught up in so many other activities throughout the day I forget to eat until all of a sudden I start feeling hungry again, then when that happens I just feel so hungry I just make the quickest thing I can find to get some food in my stomach which is usually cereal and that's not exactly the best supper.  I went shopping the other day for different food items and I just didn't know what to buy, I don't know what to buy that will keep me at a healthy weight... what I've been looking for is just already made up grocery lists of foods to buy during your pregnancy that are nutritious and will help you maintain a healthy diet during the pregnancy and if you know of any websites that might have something like that it would be greatly appreciated, and any food recommendations that you may have for what I should be eating would be really helpful as well! :) 
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mbmomof3
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:26 PM
Meats (chicken, beef, pork), breads (whole grain), and Dairy products (cheese/milk), they are the best to start off with. Lean meats are usually recommended, but being that you are underweight then you can definitely have red meats. Baby needs protein, so be sure that you are getting enough of that. Fruits and veggies are good but not as high in calories/fat so they aren't going to help you a lot with the weight gain, unless you eat a lot of them, but they should be in addition to the previously mentioned foods.

Avoid processed, prepackaged foods in pregnancy because they are loaded with things that baby and you don't need. They also aren't usually nutritionally sound.

Try to make a meal that includes most of the main food groups. For example, spaghetti with marinara (red sauce) with meat or meatballs mixed in and a whole grain garlic toast. It is fast and nutritious. You can add cheese (like shredded mozzarella) to the top of the spaghetti. Add a tall glass of 2% milk (skim isn't high enough it fat--growing babies need this inside for brain development) or some kind of 100% fruit juice. This meal can also be made for one, or two, or however many will be eating, so that is always nice.

Don't forget your pre-natal vitamin either. that will cover you in case you miss out on anything during the day, plus folic acid is vital to growing baby
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM
A few things that I loved where things like:

Nuts... cashews, almonds... very good for you! 
I used to love to make salads, and to get some more nutrition in them, put some kidney beans, olives, cheese... that sort of thing on them.
I loved granola bars too, just make sure you are getting the ones that are not loaded with sugar. 

What is a good thing to do, is after you have bought all the stuff at the store, place it in little zip lock bags,  or containters that way you can grab it on the go.
WeezySueWong
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 6:57 PM
I've heard of ensure for pregnant/nursing women, do you think if I drank that sorta like a desert (since it comes in like vanilla, chocolate and strawberry sort of shakes) after all of my meals that it might help with my weight as well?
mbmomof3
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 7:48 PM
It can't hurt if you drink it in addition to your meals, like after or in between meals with your snack (you should try to eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day), but drinking just that would definitely not provide the nutrition you need in itself.  But yes, after your meals it would certainly be helpful.  It has additional vitamins and minerals that can benefit you, but again, the best for of vitamins/minerals is in the natural foods themselves. 
Quoting WeezySueWong:

I've heard of ensure for pregnant/nursing women, do you think if I drank that sorta like a desert (since it comes in like vanilla, chocolate and strawberry sort of shakes) after all of my meals that it might help with my weight as well?

mbmomof3
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 7:52 PM
http://pregnancytoday.com/reference/articles/dietdonts.htm

This is a link to some foods NOT to eat during pregnancy

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/eating_pregnancy.html

and this is a link to what pregnant moms should be getting in their diet, it includes examples of some good foods to eat.
mareagor
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:57 PM
Buy a bigger purse and carry food in it (fruit, veggies, pb sandwiches, string cheese, crackers).  Snack throughout the day on healthy stuff and learn to graze.  I was told I was underweight as well (I worked at staying little until I was pregnant) but I gained the right amount during my pregnancy, so no one was worried.  Just keep in mind that your baby is only as healthy as you let it be - staying thin in pregnancy will not produce a smaller baby, only a less healthy one, so eat up while you have the excuse! 
As someone else suggested, plastic baggies are essential to tote your snacks around with you.  Don't eat to quiet your hunger but to feed your growing baby - go back to the "eat only when your hungry" diet after your baby is born.
Good luck!
gacgbaker
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Quoting WeezySueWong:

It is a bit expensive, but I think that would be a very good idea!  When I was pregnant, I would drink the slim fast shakes... obviously not to lose weight, but as long as you are eating food on top of it, they have alot of good vitamins and minerals, and if you are under weight the extra calories would be good for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)