Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

taking adderall while pregnant

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM
  • 8 Replies

so I am ten weeks 2 days and had my second apt today.. I gained 13 pounds since my last apt. at 6 weeks and 25 sinceI have been pregnant.. I weighed 135 the month before I found out.. My doctor put me on a new diet.. no rice, potatoes, pasta and bread..

When I found out I was pregnant I stopped smoking and stopped taking my adderall.. I have been on adderall since I was 15 and whenever I go off of it I gain weight like crazy.. I was 230 when I had my son 2 years ago. I feel guilty but I just called my doctor and asked her if it was ok for me to go back to taking my adderall. I looked into it online and know that there are no known risks to the baby if you take it while pregnant but its not really recommended.. So now I'm just waiting on the doctor to call me back.. Anyways I was just wondering if any of you had to take any medication while pregnant and if there were any effects..

by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
petaveggielover
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:50 PM

simple frown

housefullofkidz
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM

BUMP!

mrspreggers14
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM

BUMP!

Kellinna
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I honestly don't know what it could do to the baby, but I wouldn't take it while pregnant. I know that it's really hard on your heart, I can't believe you've taken it this long. I just don't think it's good to rely on a medication to keep your weight down. I struggle with weight too, so it's not like I don't understand at all. I'm no expert, but I do that anything you put in your body does go to the baby. Good luck to you hun :)

pregnancy calendar

tashangel31
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:00 PM

the took me off my adhd meds while pregnant... and everyday i wish i could stay on it... not only the weight gain but i cant seem to get anything finished...lol

petaveggielover
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Quoting tashangel31:

the took me off my adhd meds while pregnant... and everyday i wish i could stay on it... not only the weight gain but i cant seem to get anything finished...lol

yea I havent been doing too well at work either. my boss doesnt seem to care for me anymore and with me working in a daycare, I should probably have my medicine

abra
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I had to take zofran and zoloft all the way through my last pregnancy. They didn't hurt the baby. Zofran (taken for hyperemesis) does not have a pregnancy category yet and I was on 32mg daily. Zoloft (depression) is category C.

"FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether Adderall will harm an unborn baby. It could cause premature birth, low birth weight, or withdrawal symptoms in a newborn if the mother takes this medication during pregnancy. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication. Amphetamine and dextroamphetamine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use Adderall without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby." *

Go to this link for more in depth information on taking adderall while pregnant:

http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/amphetamine-dextroamphetamine.html

*http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html

1fitmamaof4
by on Jun. 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I was on Adderall before getting pregnant and went off of it months before we started trying. I miss it too! But my doctor STRONGLY reccomended that I NOT take it, bc even though there aren't any KNOWN side effects, the RISK is just too high! What you don't know...is what could potentially harm the baby. It's NOT worth it. We sacrifice so much to have a baby, what's one more thing? Better safe than sorry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)