Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

1 1/2 cm dilated continous cramps....bad or good? normal?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

Im 38 wks 4 day and got checked yesterday to see if I was dilated.....I was 1 1/2 cm and 80% effaced, after the exam I was spotting for a couple hours then it stopped but Ive had continous cramping in my lower stomach and lower back but cant really feel any contractions
Is this normal, should I call doc?

by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
motherofzandz
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I would drink lots of water and see if they get better if it gets worse. If they continue to get worse I would go in for sure. Just rest he may have stripped your membranes and its normal to have some cramping. Good luck hope it's good news for u?

annaica
by on Jul. 8, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Personally, I would call the doc cuz I do that whenever I have any concern even if it may be stupid, lol... It's better to be safe than sorry!  Good Luck Momma:)

sissychristi
by on Jul. 9, 2010 at 12:17 AM

This is normal prelabor pains. The dilation and effacement don't actually mean anything and are no indication of when you will go into active labor.

Some women will be dilated and effaced for over a month before giving birth and others not at all until after active labor has begun.

Just watch for contractions that are increasing intensity, that are close to 4 minutes apart, lasting one minute each, consistently over the course of one hour. Then you know you are in full blown active labor.

KatieBug63
by on Jul. 9, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Very normal. I know it sounds crazy, but get some rest. Drink something, eat something. Take a bath. REST. You've got beautiful, important work ahead of you :o) Stay home where you can relax... when things pick up to contractions that are regular and increasing in intensity, then consider going.

I'll say it again. REST. Happy laboring, mama!

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jul. 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM
Sounds normal for having a cervical exam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)