Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best way to go....?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM
  • 35 Replies

Okay so, this is my frist baby and I'm 16. I'm not sure what the best choice for my first delivery is. I also do not know what the difference is between a natural birth, water birth, home birth, or to use an epidural. I am completely terified of neelds and of the small chance of going pailised, so I really dont want the epidural. But people tell me that I am going to want it once I go into labor. What do you think, and What were the best and worst experiances for you?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:10 AM

I think that if you have the option you should get a midwife and have either a homebirth or a birth center birth, you won't need an epidural people just say that, your body was made to birth and you can do whatever you need to, and with a midwife instead of OB you will get great support for your birth, I also suggest getting a doula a lot do free work for teen moms and take a bradley birth class, or another out of the hospital birth class

rebel_mommy09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:11 AM

How far along are you?

Pandana
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Both of mine were born at home, and we were assisted by professional midwives. My birth experiences were wonderful. I wouldn't do it any other way. But homebirth is not for everyone. Statistically, healthy pregnant women are likely to have better outcomes with out-of-hospital births. But it's a choice that you have to make based on individual needs and comfort. You do what's right for you, because your confidence is more important than anyone's opinion.

For what it's worth, I never wanted an epidural LOL. Not oce during either of my labors did it even cross my mind. And everyone told me it would. They told me I was crazy. They were wrong. Don't bother with that mess. If you don't WANT an epidural, you don't need one. Alot of people want them. And alot of people just panic and get one. And that's okay too. You'll be fine if you change your mind. But don't go into it fearing that you will. Most of my friends have "natural" births without epidurals because it's normal for them. It is ENTIRELY up to you, if that's what you want to do. You are completely capable of making that choice  :)

rebel_mommy09
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:13 AM

I so did not know that. I wish I would have known when I was pregnant with ds. My midwife and L&D nurses were awesome, but it would have really helped having that extra person there

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I think that if you have the option you should get a midwife and have either a homebirth or a birth center birth, you won't need an epidural people just say that, your body was made to birth and you can do whatever you need to, and with a midwife instead of OB you will get great support for your birth, I also suggest getting a doula a lot do free work for teen moms and take a bradley birth class, or another out of the hospital birth class

YoRkIeMaMa2009
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Do you really think it's safe for a child/teen to be birthing at home or in a birthing center? She's young and things can go wrong. No offense but that worries me.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

***Proud Army Wife of an Infantry Soldier***

RaiderMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:21 AM

This! I am beginning my journey to becoming a doula and will specifically cater to teen moms as I was one. I didnt have a doula but I was lucky enough to have a medical practice with great CNM's and NP's that were totally into natural childbirth. Even the CNM's at the hospital were great and kept to my birthplan even when I thought I needed an epidural and almost gave in, they encouraged me that I could do it!

I think the biggest thing that helped my fears with labor and delivery was reading everything I could get my hands on. Once I understood what my body was doing I was better able to understand why the  pain was necessary  and how to help my body do what it is supposed to do, which was mainly remembering to breathe deeply so that my uterine muscles had all the oxygen possible to contract effectively. You can do it!

Quoting truealaskanmom:

doulala
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:22 AM

Quoting Tiffany_1stbaby:

Okay so, this is my frist baby and I'm 16. I'm not sure what the best choice for my first delivery is. I also do not know what the difference is between a natural birth, water birth, home birth, or to use an epidural. I am completely terified of neelds and of the small chance of going pailised, so I really dont want the epidural. But people tell me that I am going to want it once I go into labor. What do you think, and What were the best and worst experiances for you?

For most of us, the closer to natural is safest.
Getting help-encouragement-support will be important to make that work .
Are you using an OB?
How far along are you?

A natural birth is a drug-free vaginal birth.    The less interventions, the more natural.
Waterbirth is a natural delivery in a tub.   (*I have had a couple, personally, lol.)
Home birth is a delivery at your home (or someones home...).   A (freestanding NOT hospital) birth center is like a home birth at someone else's home designated for natural deliveries.
An epidural is a pain medication that is put into your back and numbs your from about the armpits, down. 
You might want some pain coping help, but once you learn the risks and alternatives, and have help, you can definitely go without an epidural.

I can offer a lot of info and ideas~  I'd love to help!   :-)

I would really encourage you to get a birth doula to help, you, too!    She is a personal assistant, sort of like your labor nurse, only much better!   ;-D

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

truealaskanmom

Quoting YoRkIeMaMa2009:

Do you really think it's safe for a child/teen to be birthing at home or in a birthing center? She's young and things can go wrong. No offense but that worries me.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

It is absolutely safe.  Midwives are very capable and do not interfere with the birthing process.  Teens have worse outcomes with OBs in hospitals because they are scared into every intervention possible because of their inexperience.  I know of several teens that have wonderful homebirths or birth center births.  Why should she not have the opportunity to have a gentle peaceful birth especially because she is young and scared already a hospital only compounds that. 

Pandana

She's as safe as a woman 10 years older than her. Of course she shoudl definitely not do it unassisted, in my opinion. But under the care of a professional midwife, she's in no more danger than anyone else. In fact, probably less because younger moms are often more susceptible to the pressures of an obstetrical environment. Midwives would be more likely to offer her the loving support she's likely to need to have a smoother birth experience.

Quoting YoRkIeMaMa2009:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Pandana
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting YoRkIeMaMa2009:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

It is absolutely safe.  Midwives are very capable and do not interfere with the birthing process.  Teens have worse outcomes with OBs in hospitals because they are scared into every intervention possible because of their inexperience.  I know of several teens that have wonderful homebirths or birth center births.  Why should she not have the opportunity to have a gentle peaceful birth especially because she is young and scared already a hospital only compounds that. 

Thanks LOL. That's what I meant haha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)