Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glucose test

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM
  • 25 Replies
Hi ladies, I have heard some woman on here say that you can refuse your glucose test? With my son I failed the 1hr but passed the 3 hr. I have an app to do the 1hr tomorrow, if I fail it can I refuse to take the 3hr?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HardyGirl19
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Bump.

Pandapanda
by Amber on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:09 PM

yep. they cant legally force you to do anything.

JavaMama11309
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM

You can refuse it, but I would do it. Diabetes can cause complications in the pregnancy, and health risks to the baby. I DO have gestational diabetes, and with my first pregnancy its wasn't caught until I was 32 weeks along. Clinton was born a larger baby (8lbs 13 oz) and thankfully didn't have any other complications. If you DO develop GD and you don't catch and treat it, your baby could be at risk. The extra sugar that your body doesn't process passes through the placenta, so his/her body will produce extra insulin to process the extra sugar. If it's not treated, the baby's blood sugar can drop dangerously low immediately after birth (you can look up what happens due to low blood sugar, I don't want to sound dramatic and scare you), and then is also more prone to develop Type 2 Diabetes earlier in life. I'm only 12 weeks along and my doctor put me on insulin for this pregnancy at only 8 weeks already. They are hoping for a nice 6 lb baby this time around! Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
jesselswick
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM

The average baby is born at 7 1/2 lbs. Having GD can cause the baby to be large (we're talkin like 9 lbs at 34 weeks) if not handled properly with diet, and if needed medication. I was diagnosed at 19 weeks but they think I might have developed it earlier because I had been having symptoms for awhile. Luckily my diet was close enough to the diabetic diet that baby is still a good normal size. 

Even if you fail the 1 hour, I would still do the 3 hr. If you fail the 1 hour by less than 5 points, I would say no thank you to the 3 hour but anything more than that and I would do the 3 hour. I failed HORRIBLY at my one hour. I was over 100 points from where I should have been at so there was no point in doing the 3 hour. GL with the test.

saabgirl88
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I am with Javamama on this one!  I would do it.  I had GD with all 3 pregnancies (had to be on insulin) now I have type 2 (possibly late onset type 1, still testing) diabeties all the time.  I would recommand to everyone to get the GD test.  Also all 3 of my babies had low blood sugar which led to having to get formula since my milk was not in and could not provide enough sugar to raise it up.  Please get the 3 hour, I know it is gross but for yours and your babys health, you should!

audreyr526
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I'm glad you asked this question - and glad I found it on here!

I want to add to the question - when do they normally START testing for the Diabetes? At how many weeks?

themacs4
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Yes, you can refuse, but I wouldn't.  I had GD with my 2 year old.  With this one, I failed the 1 hour and passed the 3 hour, but my m/w wanted me to take the 3 hour again just to be on the safe side.  I did it again last week.  It sucks, but if something were to happen to my child and I could have prevented it, I would never forgive myself!

Chia_Rupp
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM

do you mean like in the mother or the child?

and a question i have is, usually how long does it take for them to run the blood? i got my glucola test done today (just got home from it bout an hour ago) and the lady up in Women's Health said maybe tomorrow theyll have my results but how long did it take for anyone else?

(PS.... everyone was telling me how horrible the glucose stuff was, it tasted like regular Orange Soda to me lol)

Quoting audreyr526:

I want to add to the question - when do they normally START testing for the Diabetes? At how many weeks?

kris_81
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I forgot to mention that I failed the 1 hr last time by less than 5. My son was born with low blood sugar. The main reason being I had a c-section & wasn't allowed to eat after midnight & he wasn't born till 3pm which I find crazy. My husband was born at over 10 pounds so big babys run in the family anyways. I will do what's best but if I fail it by less than 5 again I really don't think the 3 hr is necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesselswick
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Mine were done and drs had the results that day with all 3 of my kids but I didn't find out until my next appt with my first 2. I found out the day after with this baby but only because the Dr couldn't read her own writing and thought that my 907 area code was 901 so obviously she couldn't reach me. (why she didnt look at my chart or in the computer I have no clue) but when I called to get something scheduled they told me I had to talk to her first and thats when she told me.  

It all depends on the lab too. they have to process the blood within a certain time frame and depending on how fast the drs want the results depends on how soon they send the results to them. If the results are bad they send it to the dr ASAP

Quoting Chia_Rupp:

do you mean like in the mother or the child?

and a question i have is, usually how long does it take for them to run the blood? i got my glucola test done today (just got home from it bout an hour ago) and the lady up in Women's Health said maybe tomorrow theyll have my results but how long did it take for anyone else?

(PS.... everyone was telling me how horrible the glucose stuff was, it tasted like regular Orange Soda to me lol)

Quoting audreyr526:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)