Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting scared/nervous to breastfeed..

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:45 PM
  • 16 Replies

I know this is a hot topic so first let me say- i DO NOT want to turn this into a FF/BF argument!! Also- Please no bashing anything anyone says!

Ok, so when i first found out I was pregnant, I was all for breastfeeding. I wanted to try it ( I FF my son), i felt like i would be missing something if I didnt try it. Now.. i'm 36 weeks and whenever I think about trying breastfeeding.. i get nervous. I think i wont be able to do it, or that it will hurt too much. I dont know how i'm going to get over this, i'm a modest person, i wont want to BF in public and I know i can pump, but then theres that whole issue. What if she doesnt take a bottle? What if she prefers the boob?  I just have so many different issues with this.. its making re-think the whole breastfeeding thing. DH is supportive no matter what i want to do... and that kinda makes it worse. AAAHHH i need some help ladies!! Give me some advice!!

pregnancy week by week

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jasonsmommy05
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM

BUMP! no one has any advice for me??

jridgill
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:54 PM
You should join the breastfeeding moms group on cafemom!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CJsmama2008
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I BF my son for a while and I had the same fears with him. I plan on BF and pumping for my DD and I still have the same fears.. I think it is common to have these kind of fears.. Like I am still changing son's diaper and for some reason I am scared to death to change a newborn girl's diaper.. LOL...Good Luck to you with whatever you decide...

jkleinman
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM
It does hurt in the beginning, but given time you can push through it. the bonding experience is worth it. don't feel pressured and stressed about it otherwise you won't be comfortable and may end u quiting before you really start. join the breastfeeding mom's group too. they're a lot of help. good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StarSterling
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM
With my daughter I bf right after she was born and the hospital gave her a bottle at 2 days old because I wasn't producing milk yet and that's what she wanted. My milk actually didn't come in for a week. But it doesn't hurt, though it's a little uncomfy at times in the beginning. It's very worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chadsmom05
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM
you sound exactly like me, but im 32 weeks. in the end i made the decision to ff again and i feel great about it. good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deadpplrmyhero
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I'm pregnant with my first child and I can't give too much advice but I will try. I've always wanted to try BF, even if only for a few days because I know how much it can benefit the baby. I have thought about the possibility of it being painful, and I know that if it is TOO painful I wont be able to continue. I feel like I at least need to try and BF because of the benefits! To me the positives outweigh the negatives, and I figure I won't really know until I try!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

mommieof
Wish I could give advice but I'm having the same issue I really want to try BF and my DH prefers it over FF but I never did with my first two kids so it's new to me plus I'm having twins so I'm scared of the pain and never getting a break
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StarSterling
Also, keep in mind that some women can't pump. I can't, and I know of women who produce enough to feed twins but can't pump a drop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:02 PM

this is my first she is 3 weeks now im only BFing  and ill say WOW its a lot of work more then i ever thought it hurt SOOOO bad the first week we had some latching problems but once we got that fixed it didnt hurt she seems to eat non-stop so i feel like i have a baby attached to my boob nonstop LOL she eats sometimes 20 mins out of every hour but she is getting better now with sucking longer and getting fuller and sleeping longer 2-4 hours at night THANK GOD!!! as far as public feeding goes i used to think that you should be covered and hide ect ect ect but now that i have her i dont even care all i think about is feeding my baby and taking care of her needs especially now that i know that the law is on my side and says that i can feed her ANYWHERE ANYTIME WITH OR WIHOUT A COVER DH my sister and my MIL freeked out when we were out in public and i started to feed her they were like OMG cover up go somewhere dont do that here and i was like WTF she needs to eat and its not like my boob is just hanging out noone is seeing anymore of my boob then they would see if i was on the beach in a bathing suit or wearing a low cut shirt her mouth is on my nipple i have a blanket around her I will be glad also once i get her on the bottle (drinking the milk i pump NOT formula) so i can have family help but i still love feeding her

NE WAYS which ever you choose its up to you just knowthat any amount of your milk your baby gets is better then none so just give it a try and dont give up right a way see the Lactation Consultants for support if you dont have support at home GOOD LUCK

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)