Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying baby stuff<3

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM
  • 23 Replies

Some people start to get new baby stuff as soon as they find out their pregnant. Others after a month or two when they find their baby is healthy..

But others think its bad luck to buy anything whatsoever thinking it will cause bad luck during pregnancy. some people i know bought stuff but didnt do anything to a nursery in fear of this bad luck.

I kinda had the fear as well that if someone gets me something or if i buy anything that it will result in miscarrage or bad test results in something or just something bad will happen. Im starting to get over that fear a little bit since im about 5 days away from being 4 months and in my second trimester...i'd just be buying important big stuff considering i dont know the sex .

So i was wondering if anyone else had this fear or if they bought stuff early? And when should u start buying stuff? Most people i've heard have a baby shower at 6 months. but i think thats just a little too late for most important stuff. considering the baby could come months or weeks early. i'd rather be ready.

Sorry these are always so long. im a writer.

opinions,ideas,anything would be great :)

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreyr526
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I've heard of many people with this fear as well - I personally don't believe in this "jinx" I believe it's more a matter of how health you are and if it's meant to be or not. I'm 8 weeks, and have started buying a few things, like hangers, gender neutral onesies, books, etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, and will help you to be more prepared is what I feel.

jennymitchell
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I started buying the big stuff around 5 months so I could space out the big purchases and not have to buy everything at once yet I wouldn't have to find a place to store it until I used it for a long time.  I didn't have a shower with this baby (our 5th) but I had no more baby stuff because we thought we were done after we had our 4th child and I got rid of all of my baby stuff except for the crib.  I like to be prepared.  I've never thought of it being bad luck to buy stuff before the baby was born.  I have thought of how hard it would be to pack everything up if I had a miscarriage or still born.

Hearts_n_Stars
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM

we have that superstition in my family... i waited til i was 6 months along to purchase anything in bulk.. i allowed myself a onsie, when i was 3 months pregnant.. i hung it up in my closet, and looked at it everyday, kept me from buying lots of things... i didn't want to upset my mom, and make large purchases... all my pregnancies were high risk..

mrseckstein
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM
I buy neutral stuff early. I've had 9 miscarriages and in my mind if god decides it's not in my fate to have that baby than i'll save it for the next:) I have plenty of stuff i've boughten before and kept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JAIRATRACI
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I don't know anyone that is scared to buy baby stuff. How early you buy it depends on you. I can't afford to buy baby stuff but lucky for me I have a few things from my other kids.

Mommy to Thour Barden 02/02/02, Mikhail Reid 07/10/07, Liam Doyle 04/25/09 and Wyatt Alexander 07/06/10
fallnangel93
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I had the same fear. Still do kinda. I just bought a crib, carseat and bouncy seat, but nothing else yet. With my other three, I never really had this fear...I don't know why I have it with this one.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Gender Prediction
Get your own gender prediction!

winterbaby2926
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Yea im 17 and have a mitro valve prolapse(heart valve thing) considering both my age and heart they set me as high risk as well. i think thats another reason i was so worried to buy stuff within the first 8-10 weeks. i also bought a cute onesie while i was in New Jersey and my mom got me a couple little shirts that go for either sex.

im slowly gettin over the fear so im still 50/50 about buying stuff. little stuff seems to be kinda okay,but yea if i had a miscarage and then had to take everything down and look at it i would be devestated!

winterbaby2926
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM

those are three of the big things i want to get out of the way and get bought too so im not worrying about having it later...

MommaBoop922
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I had the same fears after 2 miscarriages and decided we would wait until we knew the sex of the baby before we bought anything like clothes and then we bought the furniture in the second trimester.  6 months isn't late for a baby shower when you talk to most women.  Most actually have them at 7 or 8 months so they can be a bit bigger and have a good idea of what they need.  Mine is the 31st of July and I will be around 33 weeks along.  I try not to think about the baby coming early and if she  does I know we have enough to be ready.  

Its all about your comfort so when you feel ready you start buying things and planning for the shower and all that :D GL

Katiecabooble
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I haven't bought anything...I've been browsing, researching and deciding what things we are buying vs putting on a registry.  However I was given approximately 3 years worth of boys clothes and misc toys/paraphenalia  from a family member that is done having kids and were having a garage sale.  They also gave us a pack n play (whew!) so we are able to readjust our budget!  We've gotten a few items from my MIL, but not to much.

We are getting ready to start buying furniture and spacing it out over the next couple of months.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)