Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

C-Section Question. Anesthesia???!!

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

My first pregnancy went by without issue.  But my delivery ended with an Emergency C-Section.  I must say - I was not disappointed.  It was quick and painless and uneventful.  My recovery was fine, if not quick but at least I could sit comfortably, laugh without peeing and have sex at the 6-week mark - all things I feared would be impossible if I had delivered vaginally.  (True or not, it was a legitimate fear as the D-Day approached).

Anyway - now that I am pregnant again, I have the choice of V-BAC or a planned C.  I am going with the planned C.  The first one was easy - they just super-dosed my epidural and threw me on the table. 

For the second one, will I have an epidural or a Spinal Block?  Will I have a choice?  What's the difference?

Obviously - these are questions for my ObGyn, but I have plenty of time (I am due in October) and I was hoping to draw on your experiences and knowledge first.

THANK YOU!

by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
First_One_8_18
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:32 PM
I always wondered if they could make you fall asleep while they did a c-section. I have a history of them in my family, and am TERRIFIED of surgery, especially when I would be awake during one.
onedayatatime
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:36 PM
You should be able to have a choice. Just tell your Dr which you prefer.
MeandSqueaks
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Quoting onedayatatime:

You should be able to have a choice. Just tell your Dr which you prefer.

What would you prefer?  That is part of my question...  one lasts about 2 hours, the other can be "re-upped" if needed...  but the surgery should be less than an hour, so why would I need that?  Just to make me feel better???!!

ACK!  :)
MeandSqueaks
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Quoting First_One_8_18:

I always wondered if they could make you fall asleep while they did a c-section. I have a history of them in my family, and am TERRIFIED of surgery, especially when I would be awake during one.

They can, but you won't want that.  If you fall asleep, it will be a long time before you hold your baby and you want to hear that first cry.
And even if everyone had a C, they are not genetic - it completely depends on your body, your baby and the circumstance.  Be prepared but don't freak yourself out!!  :)
sweetmoonflower
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 9:39 PM
I'm due in October too. With my second they gave me the spinal. I really didn't complain. The epidural with my first caused me more grief than it was worth I regret getting it. It didn't work (I was told by one person that it was because of a kink in the line not letting it get where it needed to be) After having the anestheisiaologist  come in every two minutes giving me more, by the time they sat me up to take it out and give me a spinal, and layed me back down for  the section, They had paralyzed my lungs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)