Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on Castor Oil

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM
  • 23 Replies

okay so what happened last wednesday with the castor oil was that it did start my dialation, since my cervix did close. And it did help to re-open it as well as walking a lot, but we tried the oil for 3 days in a row. Unfortunately, it did not work for me it has kept my contracting since, but not much progress so far. So we gave up, on friday my doc said he will come anytime and to walk 3 hours a day. The only problem is that my feet swell, and the left foot gets so big it hurts. So we have until next wednesday until my 40 weeks, we are just going to wait and see what happens hopefully something this week :)

FYI

Castor Oil doesn't work on everyone, so do not think any of these remedies will be 100% its more like 50/50...Now I am not as anxious as I was the last few weeks, but its my first and it happens. I am getting nervous though, since my due date is next wednesday :S

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by Amber on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Have you tried swimming to get rid of the swelling? It's also GREAT exercise, same as walking (and I'd rather swim and reduce the swelling than walk and have my feet feel like water balloons!)

shamillionaire
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I have never heard castor oil working with anyone!!

truealaskanmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I won't do this unless I am past 42 weeks and even then I would think twice and three times about it

truealaskanmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Quoting shamillionaire:

I believe it worked for Doulala but it was horrible for her. 

shamillionaire
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Really? It just seems revolting to me to even ever want to try. I heard it gives you the poo poo's bad....

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting shamillionaire:

Groove
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM

castor oil just gives your diarhea. the emptying of the bowels will agitate your uterus and make it contract. castor oil is not a good idea.

truealaskanmom
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Quoting shamillionaire:

Really? It just seems revolting to me to even ever want to try. I heard it gives you the poo poo's bad....

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting shamillionaire:

It is horrible, its like when you get food poisoning or a bad stomach flu, I did it with my first and learned my lesson.  You also get super dehydrated really really fast from it. 

MrsMatthiesen
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Castor oil is awful! I used it when I was pregnant with DD and I just got sick from it. I wouldn't advise anyone to use it. I would make sure you try anything and everything else before using that to induce labor lol. YUCK

denamariec
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM

No I haven't gone swimming, I have thought about it but haven't...the last time I went into our apartment spa I got a rash on my hip....so I am a bit nervous to go in the pool...I might just try it...thanks

denamariec
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I have many people I know swore by it, most were between 37-40 weeks....But I think it all depends on timing and your baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)