Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

D&C question...

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM
  • 16 Replies

I just found out today that I might be having a m/c. I go in on Wed. to have my HCG checked again, and Thursday I will find out if I am or not. If I am since the sac was empty I am guessing they will probably do a D&C. What does this entail? I have never had to have one...Thank you.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:37 PM

not sure bump

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM

They lightly sedate you and will scrape the sides of your uterus to make sure they remove all signs of the failed pregnancy to keep you from getting an infection.  At most you'll feel a little discomfort while they do it but no pain, the meds actually ended up knocking me out, you'll be back up and going within a day or 2. 

virgobaby1978
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Thank you.

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

They lightly sedate you and will scrape the sides of your uterus to make sure they remove all signs of the failed pregnancy to keep you from getting an infection.  At most you'll feel a little discomfort while they do it but no pain, the meds actually ended up knocking me out, you'll be back up and going within a day or 2. 

BlessedToBMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM

They may be wrong they were with me, I just wasnt as far as they thougt

pacificamom

BUMP!

mommyof4gurlz
Idk but hope that dont happen bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virgobaby1978
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I am really hoping that is the case.

Quoting BlessedToBMommy:

They may be wrong they were with me, I just wasnt as far as they thougt

MaNdYbEaR2010
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:44 PM

You go in, they put you to sleep, dialate you and take out the sac. I had to have one with my first, because i had started to mc, but the whole thing wouldn't come out. (i refused the initial d&c for the hope my baby wasn't dead) but when i woke up, i felt ok. went home the same day...

MaNdYbEaR2010
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM

d&c stands for dialation and curettage. so i'm just assuming they dialate you. she didn't really tell me in detail. but they (my dr) used a suction tube, not a scrape thing.

SapphireMomma
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM
Id like to add that they usually give youu pain meds after the surgery as well. Make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids afterwards. I didnt and had some complications. (completely rare and fluke things happened i dont mean to worry you.) Im still praying that it was a misdiagonosis

Quoting virgobaby1978:

Thank you.

Quoting AMarineLovesMe:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)