Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PIOG- Has anyone ever had an unassisted home birth?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:45 PM
  • 26 Replies

Just wondering if anyone has ever had an unassisted home birth on purpose or by accident.  I am not happy with my OB/ Gyn practice and feeling limited.  I am going to check our ins. to see if they will cover a birth center or home birth.  Thanks!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Just had my UP/UC with our last baby, born in Feb.

You can read her birth story on my blog at Our Birth Journeys.

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

Lullababy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:48 PM

What does UP/UC stand for?

Quoting kcangel63:

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Quoting Lullababy:

Quoting kcangel63:

UP (unassisted pregnancy)  UC (Unassisted Childbirth)

I did all my own prenatal work, and birthed at home without medical assistance.  :)  It was so wonderful.  My DH and 11 yr old DD assisted her birth.

MegHPand3
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:50 PM

if you are interested in HB you can check out midwives in your area, most insurances will cover a portion of hb, depending on which state you live in, and what type of midwife you use. DEM, CPM, CNM etc. That portion can range from 0% to 80% mine covers about 50% WE THINK?!?!?! Several studies have been pubished in recent years showing that for LOW RISK woment HB is AS SAFE as hospital birth, with substantially fewer interventions and an over all c/s rate of 4% where as the national average is 33.3% If you are really interested in doing am unassisted birth, there are great resources available. I would start with Laura Shanley's website and go from there. If you have any questions about HB please feel free to PM me. :) Welcome to the other side of the looking glass, ALice :)

Ati_13
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Check out the group Birth Is Normal.  There are lots of ladies there who have had unassisted births.

And UP/UC stands for unassisted pregnancy, unassisted childbirth.  That means that mom did her own prenatal care too.

Lullababy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Thanks for the info!  I have to talk to my dh more about this.  We had a CNM in a hospital with 4 out 5 births but I have a feeling it is very different than a birthing center or home birth.  I became interested in home births w/ my 2nd but it was enough for my dh to have a CNM, lol.  I halfway joked about our 5th being born at home, the poor guy about died!  I talked to him again about it yesterday and he got a little panicky but agreed to find out what our ins. will cover since that's why he pays for it, his words :-)  He is very supportive but is also scared.  

For the last 5 yrs my dream has been to become a  duola and here I am scared about a home birth, lol!!!!

Quoting MegHPand3:

if you are interested in HB you can check out midwives in your area, most insurances will cover a portion of hb, depending on which state you live in, and what type of midwife you use. DEM, CPM, CNM etc. That portion can range from 0% to 80% mine covers about 50% WE THINK?!?!?! Several studies have been pubished in recent years showing that for LOW RISK woment HB is AS SAFE as hospital birth, with substantially fewer interventions and an over all c/s rate of 4% where as the national average is 33.3% If you are really interested in doing am unassisted birth, there are great resources available. I would start with Laura Shanley's website and go from there. If you have any questions about HB please feel free to PM me. :) Welcome to the other side of the looking glass, ALice :)

Lullababy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Wow!  You are an amazing mama!!!!

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Lullababy:

Quoting kcangel63:

I did all my own prenatal work, and birthed at home without medical assistance.  :)  It was so wonderful.  My DH and 11 yr old DD assisted her birth.

Lullababy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Thanks, i will!!!

Quoting Ati_13:

Check out the group Birth Is Normal.  There are lots of ladies there who have had unassisted births.

And UP/UC stands for unassisted pregnancy, unassisted childbirth.  That means that mom did her own prenatal care too.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Quoting Lullababy:

Wow!  You are an amazing mama!!!!

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Lullababy:

Quoting kcangel63:

LOL!  Thanks.  It was just something I felt was right. 

If you are looking into home birth, and your DH and you are nervous about it, I would suggest talking to midwives and doulas.  They will talk to you about your options, and give you some great home birth information.  Also, check out some books from Ina May Gaskin.  She is an awesome midwife (runs The Farm in TN) and has some great information.

I can also e-mail you some home birth information I have on my computer if you want.  Just e-mail me at isaplan@yahoo.com with CafeMom Home Birth Info as the subject (so I don't SPAM it).  ;)

Megara
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:07 PM

My mom had her third homebirth unassisted (on purpose).  I can't say I recommend it for a first baby, or even a first out-of-hospital birth.  You don't know what's normal and what's not.  Most insurance will cover a midwife of some sort, even if they require that she be a CNM.  My insurance will cover a birthing center staffed by CNM and LMs as long as they have an OB on staff.  My birthing center does have an OB on staff, but I've never ever seen the guy, I don't even know his name, and as far as I know he's never set foot in their building!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)