Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Pregnancy & Horrified about labor.

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM
  • 12 Replies

My husband and I are expecting our first baby and we're really excited. I'm feeling better too, the morning sickness (which was just awful..yuck) is subsiding, I feel more energetic, and I finally found some clothes that are comfortable and pretty cute looking. YAY! And even though all of that is great, I still find myself thinking about going into labor and well..pushing it out.. ("it" because we don't know the gender yet) I have terrible anxiety and I am a total wuss when it comes to pain. Im just so afraid that I can't handle this, even though I know I can because women have been doing this since forever :P So, If anyone has advice or could maybe describe the pain or your experience I would really appreciate it. I just wish having babies could be easier...like I could just close my eyes and then open 'em up and see our first child. But, since it's not like that, I would really like to hear about other moms experiences. Thanks A Bunch!!!!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BlessedToBMommy
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM

wll I was the same and took the epidural after delivering my first without it, the little needle is nothing when your contractions are like heck!! Goo luck! And you CAN and WILL do it!!:)

AMarineLovesMe
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I was terrified with my first as well.  I was going to a midwife and then chickened out last minute so I could be drugged up lol.  The epidural didn't take either time they tried and I ended up feeling EVERYTHING!  Surprisingly, the worst part of the whole thing was getting stitches from tearing.  Once it's over it's kind of like, wow, that was it?  You'll be just fine :)

katesager
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Hi! I was very nervous as well. I took some birthing classes which helped me learn how to dea with the pain better. I would recomend taking one! I am not going to lie, it hurts REALLY bad. But there is medicine they can give you before you get an epidural. I would also recomend getting the epidural. It helps so much! I ended up having a C-section because the cord was wrapped around my babies neck. So, I didn't go through pushing the baby out. You will do great! Just keep thinking about your precious baby, and that will help get you through the pain! Good luck!!

shellie830
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Aww alot of moms feel that way about labor, but honestly just relax it will make it easier! Try not to stress out about it! I was induced with my DS and slept through most of labor after my epidural! It took from about 8am to 1:43pm to have him! The contracts hurt but I just said screw this got tell them I want my epidural now and then got it and went to sleep.. I know not everyone agrees w/ my choices and not everyones labors are the same my BF had an epidural and couldn't push with it.. Good luck and remember you have a loong time to go before you'll be in that position anyway:)

alikat8100
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Don't worry about that so soon. You have 30 weeks to go, if you focus on that you will miss your pregnancy. As far as pain goes it is going to hurt but honestly it is the best hurt to experience because there is a reward at the end, a beautiful baby. I am pregnant with number 4 and honestly for me the anticipation is worse than anything else because I make it bigger in my head. The really good thing about labor is after it is all over you forget how painful it was after a while. I am a worrier too but enjoy the remainder of your pregnancy there is so much to look forward to.

kajira
by Emma on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM

i was scared the first time around, but I was also excited.

I am now due with my second and intending to go all natural, out of a hospital birth center, you might be surprised at what your body can handle... grab a couple books to read that might help put it into perspective for you if you want to try going natural.

Natual childbirth the bradley method, and the husband coached childbirth (also the bradley method)

srose73
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Birthing classes helped me understand how to relax and breathe. Learning that part, even if you were to have an epidural, would be a nice back up for your anxiety. I have anxiety also, and the more I knew about what could go on and how to deal with it, the better off I was. Everything will be fine, hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ati_13
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Start reading up on natural birth.  Most women do experience pain, but the level varies woman to woman.  And, too, it's not like the pain of an injury.  It feels different because it has a purpose and is doing good things in your body and for your baby.  It's a natural pain and it's different.  Your body produces natural opiates called endorphins, which help you deal with the pain and give you a morphine-like high after the baby is born. 

It's really incredible what your body does to birth your baby.  Also, hiring a doula will help you out a lot, and taking a course of natural childbirth classes (preferably outside the hospital... hospital classes suck).

Good luck, mamma!

LaceyN1121
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Just remember something, women remember birthing pain worse than what it really is. Here is my experience it was horrible the contractions hurt and when it came time to push, as soon as they were out, (my first 7 years ago, and my second 3 months ago), It was over with, I had them in my arms and the pain just disappeared. If you feel you can not do it just ask for pain meds. If you are planning on going natural, look into the bradely method, take a lamaze class closer to your due date. Just remember your body was made to do this. It will be ok, dont look at labor right now don't even think about it, just put your hand on your belly and talk to your little bean, and you will calm down.

cowgirlmidwife
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:00 PM

The best thing to remember is that women have been doing it forever :p you seem to have that part down..Thank God we now have the internet and other things to talk to those women :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)