Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM
  • 20 Replies

The local wic office here will loan out a pump to those moms who need one. Now, having read about pump sharing online I know it's not safe/sanitary to share pumps than hospital grade ones. Does anyone know if the wic ones are hosp grade? I keep forgetting to call and ask, and if they are then I dont want to spend the money to buy one, I"ll just get a small manual to start using before I go back to work. thanks!

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrseckstein
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:16 PM
I do not believe it's a hosp grade. I'd think it's just a small cheap one to be honest with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I would think they wouldnt be able to loan out pumps which weren't sanitary to do so.  But, I am not sure.  Here is a bump.

PhotoBella
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:47 PM

thanks ladies. Im gonna try to remember to call them tomorrow. I'd like to save the money on buying one if i dont need too.. and since i"ll be going back to work I really  kinda need a double electric to get it done quick.

Pregnancy Ticker

maxswolfsuit
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I don't see why it matters if they hospital grade or not. All the parts that actually touch the milk can be sterilized or replaced. The pump itself never touched the milk. I've shared pumps and it's not an issue at all.

maxswolfsuit
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Who said it's only sanitary to share hospital grade ones? Some people recommend against sharing or buying used because single user pumps can burn out, or work less efficiently after several users. It's not because of sanitation though.

Kbabyz2
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Most WIC offices use the Medela brand pumps which are considered hosp grade. They are very nice.

PhotoBella
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

From what I've read online there are articles saying its not safe due to milk/bodily fluids (possibly blood) to get into the mechanics of it if it's not sealed properly.

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

Here's the article I read.

Pregnancy Ticker

maxswolfsuit
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM

That article just seems to be one person's opinion. She even says, "Though there have not been any documented cases of mothers or babies being infected through the use of a second-hand pump, I don't believe sharing single user pumps is worth even a very small or theoretical risk. "

You can purchase everything that ever touches the milk brand new. When I first got mine I was worried about the tubing, but when I used it I realized the milk never goes through the tubing. A few drops may get sucked in, but the milf goes from the breast into the bottle. It never actually goes into the tubing or the pump. Even if some milk did get sucked into the pump and contaminated it, the milk the baby gets never even goes near the pump.

My LC knew I was using a used pump and her only concern was the motor being effective. My pediatrician knew too. Neither of them were worried about sanitary issues. I even asked at the hospital before he was born when I didn't know how the pump worked. Definitely ask at WIC and see what they say, but to me it seems a little paranoid.

Do you mind if I post this in the breastfeeding group to see if anyone else has heard this?

abra
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I think what they do is replace all the tubing and just santize the actually pump part.

Tay-Brittnie
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I wouldn't think they would loan out unsanitary ones, but you never know.  Before I told my family that I wasn't breast feeding, everyone was pushing me to take my cousin's offer of borrowing her breast pump.  I honestly thought that was gross, because we are not close AT ALL and I have a weird problem with borrowing anything like that from anyone.  I don't like using my little sister's hair brush, so it's kind of understandable that I wouldn't want my cousin's breast pump.  LMAO!  But if you're fine with it, and you find out it's sanitary, then GO FOR IT!  :)  Cheaper that way definitely!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)