Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

don't know what to do about my 3 year old HELP

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM
  • 10 Replies
please someone help my 3 year old is bad lately his screaming and tantrums are driving me and my poor sister crazy i don't know what to do anymore he screams at the top of his lunges, crys, thows things, hits, spits, bites, kicks and all because he doesn't get his way. we do time out but its not working anymore and we slap his butt sometimes to not real hard but that doesn't seem to be helping either. i'm 33 weeks pregnant and on strict bedrest he just started to act this way with in the last month i think he is mad at me for being on bedrest and he is mainly taking it out on my sister. my DH finally got to witness what we go though daily with my son yesterday while grandma was visiting and he was in shock he said he had no idea he behaved so badly he is usually very well behaved for daddy but not yesterday. i just don't know what to do right now DH works all day i'm on bedrest and my sister is only 15 she is here taking care of me and my 2 boys ages 2 and 3, i feel so badly that my 3 year old is acting this way to her he won't let her do anything for him and throws a fit if she trys like getting him dinner or a drink or giving him a bath or changing his pull-up anything he just screams "no mommy do"and he did the same to daddy yesterday sorry this is so long i just don't know what to do anymore. any advice please i'm 4cm dilated and 75% effaced so i'm not even supposed to be out of bed except to use the bathroom but i keep getting up to deal with my son and to help my sister.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Is he getting some one on one time with you each day?  Sounds like he is having a really hard time with Mom being unavailable.  Maybe watch his fav. movie together, read books; any activity that he may have interest in that you are able to do from bed.  I know that just after my c-section I wasn't doing much but taking care of the baby and I.  My DH was taking care of DD and she felt my absence badly.  She started acting up and giving DH a really hard time.  The last week I've made sure to have at least 1hr of strictly time for her and I and she has been much better for her dad.  DS is only 2wks old so we are still working on some sort of routine to juggle 2 kids :)  GL

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM

wish I knew what to tell you.. Right now one of my 3 year olds is screaming in time out so i'm not much help LOL

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Sounds like he just might want more itme with you, maybe he can spend some time with you in bed, watch tv together, stuff like that....Sorry I can't be more helpful, at the moment my 3yr old is going through some pms phase, where  nothing pleases him and he would rather go off and have fits!! I just have him sit with me and he calms down and acts decent again! Good Luck !

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Kids are smart. They will test the limits to see what they can get away with. It really needs to be nipped in the butt now though. (for your sanity, a lot easier when they are young). When ours start tantrums we get them under control very quickly. We have four children all with four different personalities and this worked with all four of them. You (your sister in your case since you are on bed rest) Will pick him up every time he starts to have a tantrum and walk him straight to his bedroom. He will be screaming and carrying on. You tell him, "aw, this is so sad we do not throw fits in the living room you have to throw your fit in your bedroom." You are giving them  permission to throw a fit, so it is not as fun. You tell them they can come out when they are done crying and yelling but not until. When I first start this I usually stand by their door and keep putting them back in their room if they try to come out. They learn the rules very quickly but you have to stay consistent. Pretty soon they think temper tantrums suck. They are not getting the attention they wanted. I just posted last night about this but when my son was two he would start in and I would carry him all the way to his room. The second his feet touched the floor he would say, "all done mommy" in the sweetest voice ever. They can turn it on and off very quickly. I swear raising kids can be compared to a game. You just always have to stay a step ahead of them. If you are willing to try it, it will work if you are consistent. We never have temper tantrums past that initial two year old stage. :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM
I haven't been through that stage yet! Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM

My Daughter is the SAME EXACT WAY! I am worried that she may have a mood Disorder. She is either Crazy cute happy or Ultra depressed and sad. Noting in the middle ever. And lately she has more bad days than good. I am 18 weeks Pregnant and I dont think it is about the baby. She started up with this when she hit 3 in march! I am at my whits end with it. She is rude in public, swears. Hits Kicks and is very mean to her 2 Older brothers. She is a TERROR!

I give my daughter one on one!!! Lots of it!!! I know it is not that. And my older children 9 and 5 have never acted this way. I am not to mean or to nice. I am Fair and honest but dont let my children walk all over anyone. Me my parents or their siblings. Spanking is not at all an option she could CARE LESS!

Sorry I dont have a solution but please know that you are not alone.

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:42 PM

send him to his room,  dont give him the attintion,  let him come out wen he stop throwiung those tempers,  couplle of times of doing that  all you have to say im going to send you to your room,  you wont get attiontion for bad behavior

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:51 PM

My 20 month old has been acting up a little bit lately as well since i have been on bed rest. I found that making special time with him (I know its hard when confined to the couch or bed but there are things that you can do with him, even if its snuggling under a blanket and watching his fav movie or just talking to him) has helped out a lot. When he throws tantrums I just ignore him. I don't punish him for bad things like hitting his sister or throwing a fit because even negative attention is attention and thats what he's looking for. He also is picking up that things are about to change very soon. It's important to make time for him and keep that time even when baby comes. The fits wont stop after baby comes they will only get worse if it doesn't get under control.

by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

I'm not sure hun, sorry.. Here's a bump for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)