Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That's MY cervix: PRIVATE!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM
  • 31 Replies

A lot of us are avoiding getting our cervix checked.  
Others have it routinely.   

I think it's important to appreciate that vaginal exams are for entertainment purposes only.     It doesn't tell you anything useful, anything certain.    (unless maybe you're dealing with preterm laboring).

If you are curious and are able to not take the info to heart, great!

But beware, if you find you are/aren't dilating --what will that do? (in your mind)
Maybe you'll wonder-worry-question ?
It does tend to do this, so doing it is tricky (emotionally).

Moms can dilate from 0-10 in an hour or go from 0 to 10 (stepping up, gradually) over several weeks, months.    Eventually, mom will be Complete (at 10...).

• A woman may become discouraged by multiple exams and mindless comments such as, “you are only __cm”. Labor then can stall giving way to interventions that often end in cesarean.

• Vaginal exams increase the risk of infection by bringing bacteria towards the cervix, even when done carefully and especially after the release of the membranes.

• Vaginal exams are not a reliable way to predict when labor will begin. Labor normally begins when the baby is ready and a wonderful cocktail of hormones begin to release.

• Vaginal exams are particularly painful during contractions and disrupt a woman’s concentration.

Here is a bit about it:

The Myth of a Vaginal Exam

Cervical Check in Labor

CERVICAL EXAMS: WHO NEEDS THEM?

http://www.womanswisdom.info/vagexams.pdf

From http://sites.google.com/site/ultimatebirthplan/definitions:
Minimal Vaginal Exams during labor not only decreases the risk of infection, it also is less invasive; and vaginal exams can be painful.  You have the right to ask for a vaginal exam, and you also have the right to refuse a vaginal exam (unless there is a complication such as a prolapsed cord)

How to Check Dilation with out a Vaginal Exam:
http://womantowomancbe.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/checking-dilation-without-a-vaginal-exam/

birth proceeds in a spiral fashion:
labor starts, stops and starts, while the baby goes down, up and down,
and the cervix opens, closes and opens. Nature has no design for
failure; she holds her own meaning for success.

- Sher Willis

Birth is a process that probably lasts about a month or more, when
you think of how the baby works his/her way into position, mom's body
prepares with the uterus thickening at the top and thinning at the
bottom and the cervix prepares itself to dilate for the final pushes in
this process. It is such an amazing, divine plan and in this day and age
so easily disturbed—possibly as never before. I think induction,
possibly in any form, can disrupt this plan, interrupting the baby's
process of positioning and getting ready to be born. As Carla Hartley
says, "Birth is safe, interference is risky."

Jan Tritten, mother of Midwifery Today
magazine

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyrelsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:11 PM

LOL, love your title. 

I only got 3 checks my whole last pregnancy.  First one at 40 weeks 5 days.  I wanted a little while to think about what my options were, should I pass 42 weeks.  So I wanted to know if I had any dilation at all, which gives a few more options for induction (like the foley).  Then I got one the first time I showed up at the hospital, (I went home, because I wasn't dilated far enough, and didn't want to spend hours at the hospital), and one the second time I came.  I got those ones because I figured it was easier than having to fight with them about it, lol. That's it.  So much nicer, and a lot easier on me mentally, than previous pregnancies where I was being checked once a week or more from 36 weeks on, and the 100 checks (it seemed) I had during my first labor.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Thank you for this.  Can I steal some of it for a post on CMNG (or would you be willing to repost it on there)?  I had a post from last year, that I brought back to life today.  LOL!  People keep saying that if you have sex then why not have a VE, or that they trust the Dr b/c they must be doing it for some reason but they don't know what that reason is. 

Here's the post...

Do you opt out of cervical/vaginal exams when pregnant?

BTW - I haven't had one with my last 3 pregnancies.  :)

Welcoming our 6th baby, 3rd home birth and 1st unassisted birth on 2-10-10.

doulala
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Please take it!   
I am not a member and not planning to join now.

;-)

Quoting kcangel63:

Can I steal some of it for a post on CMNG (or would you be willing to repost it on there)? 

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Thank you.  :)  I was actually online for a while just, before I came across this post (by accident), and couldn't find what I was looking for (happened to be what you posted).  ;)

I love your posts.  They are always packed full of great information.

housefullofkidz
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I love your posts :-) I do like to get checked, but also understand even 5 cm dialated I can and did go over a week later. LOL!  The numbers don't really mean much.

jessie82087
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I plan to avoid exams as much as possible. Although, as a first time mommy, I will have to try very hard to not let my curiosity get the better of me.

I think a very big factor that will help me avoid them, is that I'm already having issues with infection, and the last thing I want is to make it worse.

-Jessica
       Loving girlfriend to my honey *Beau*
       Proud Mommy-to-be of a baby boy
       Due September 4, 2010

Aus
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM

After over 36 hours of laboring without drugs I was only 5 cm dilated, once I got in the birthing tub I went from 5cm to 10cm in under an hour. Pushed for 20 minutes and gave birth to our baby boy. Im living proof that your baby will not come until they are damn well and ready to. I must admit it was discouraging that after 20 hours of labor where the contractions had been 2-4 min apart and 1 min long I was still only 2cm. Fortunately for me the birth center doesnt offer Pit, so it was never offered. Another hour and a half I would of been risked out and sent to a hospital...

whttigr0
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

One thing I always wondered is, when you are in the hospital and you tell them the baby is coming and your ready to push, why is it they seem to think they have to check you to see if you are at a 10? Doesnt a womens body know what it needs to do therefore tells her when its time?

Sweet_Britt
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I've never made it far enough along in my pregnancy to get a cervix check before, but I had honestly wondered what the point of them were before being in labor! I was never really sure why you would check when you're not in labor, because its not really an indicator of anything really!

You could be dilated for weeks without it meaning anything!

doulala
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Quoting whttigr0:

One thing I always wondered is, when you are in the hospital and you tell them the baby is coming and your ready to push, why is it they seem to think they have to check you to see if you are at a 10? Doesnt a womens body know what it needs to do therefore tells her when its time?

Thanks for asking!!

;-D

The "Rule of 10" Versus Women's Primal Wisdom - by Lydi Owen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)