Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby "Measuring Big" *Update Again*

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM
  • 21 Replies

I want to first say that I adore my doctor and she has been nothing but supportive and wonderful to me this whole pregnancy - but I'm worried.  I had a sono at about 32 weeks and baby was measuring in at 4 1/2 pounds, which I was told was in the 60%.  I'm totally cool with that (if, of course, it's actually accurate and yes, I know they can be very very off).  I had my 36 week appointment this last wednesday and was told that "she's still measuring big" based on fundal height (she's never told me that before).  Well, she was doing the measurements from the middle of my pubic bone, instead of the top, and it was over a scrunched up sheet.  She scheduled another sono for 38 weeks "just to be sure".  I'm worried that she's looking to get me to induce.  It's not something I would do, but some of the ladies on here have made me a little paranoid about my doctor lol.  

Now, I just measured me and I got 32 cm.  Fundal height is to be within 3 cm of your week so I get at most 35 and at 37 weeks that would actually mean I'm measuring small.  So do you think she just was too caught up in talking with me (which can happen with her) and I'm just being paranoid or is she setting me up for induction?  Is your fundal height where it's supposed to be? 

*Update*

I went to the doctor yesterday and asked her what the measurement was and she said 39 cm.  I am 37w5d.  Oh, and, she measured from the BOTTOM of my pubic bone (like, near my clitoris).  I'm so confused!  I thought the measurement was taken from the top of the bone.  And no matter what, I'm within 1 1/2 cm, so why does she think that's big?  Ugh, this is frustrating :(  No matter what the sono next week says I will not be consenting to an induction. 

*Update*

Had my sono yesterday and baby measured at 7 lbs 6 oz at 38w5d.  My doctor said "see, I told you you're gonna have a fat baby!"  I don't see that as fat (52% in growth) but hey - she DIDN'T BRING UP INDUCTION!!  That made me sooo happy :)  I am also not dilated in the least which is great because my mom won't be here until Monday.  Once she gets here I'll start really wanting this baby to come lol.  Anyway, just wanted to let you ladies know that it seems I was worrying over very little.  :)

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM

It's usually within a couple of centimeters of your gestation after 24 weeks, I believe...

But if you are in the very end, you might also measure "shorter" because baby has descended into the pelvic cavity or it could just be baby's position.
How are you measuring yourself?

If you have doubts, use this awareness-intuition to stay strong, ask questions (lots!), and make notes of the answers, go home and research the replies.   See what you think.   Go back and continue to ask & consult.    Get another care provider's opinion if you like.

You can ask risks and benefits of measuring "off," of induction or remaining pregnant.   Ask what are all your options, the pros & cons to the options, alternatives...

Don't feel cornered!

;-)

Best wishes!

Birth is a process that probably lasts about a month or more, when
you think of how the baby works his/her way into position, mom's body
prepares with the uterus thickening at the top and thinning at the
bottom and the cervix prepares itself to dilate for the final pushes in
this process. It is such an amazing, divine plan and in this day and age
so easily disturbed—possibly as never before. I think induction,
possibly in any form, can disrupt this plan, interrupting the baby's
process of positioning and getting ready to be born. As Carla Hartley
says, "Birth is safe, interference is risky."

Jan Tritten, mother of Midwifery Today
magazine

thea11ens
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I measured big from about 25 weeks to 37 weeks...never more than 2 or 3 off...but by 37 weeks I started to stay about the same.  I'm 39 weeks now and measuring at 38...

I wouldn't worry if I was you.  I measured big with my first pregnancy too!  About 2 over all the way through.  Had a healthy, perfect baby boy 8lbs 14oz, 19 1/2in...vaginally and without induction!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM

With my body type, my fundal height can be dramatically off for some weeks, and my midwife told me the end of pregnancy can throw it off a lot.  I would ask at your next appt just to be certain.

mrseckstein
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM
I wouldn't be concerned babe! I measured big with my first and you know what at the end of it all he came out 5lbs 9 oz. The ultrasound isn't exact it's a good estimation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wrk4myself
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I was measuring average through the whole pregnancy but I delivered 9# 14oz. BIG BABY!

I had an ultrasound 4 days before my labor started naturally and she measured almost a pound less.

I was 11 days overdue when my water broke. I refused an induction a week before and I'm glad I did. She came when we were ready. It was a hard labor...but tell me what labor isn't hard!

If you aren't comfortable with an induction don't do one! Unless they can show that the baby is in distress then there is no reason.

kameka
by on Jul. 29, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Bump for update

motherofzandz
by on Jul. 29, 2010 at 4:42 PM
I dont know your size or body size but I wanted to caution you on this. My doctor's did the us and I was so little they really did not think it was right. I was 4 cm at 39 weeks so they talked me into an induction. I feel bad at times for giving in but I know that my hips are small and he had a really reall yrough delivery at 8lbs 4 ozs. They did not think he would be that big! So while at times I feel guilty for my induction I also realize if he was barely delivered at 39 weeks he would not have made it if he had gotten any bigger. Listen to your doctors if they really are concerned the baby could be too big for you. My son had a bad abrasion on his head from the vaccume and I was cut and torn really bad. I think with this one I would rather be induced early than go through that again or get a cs. Just something to consider.
kameka
by on Jul. 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Quoting motherofzandz:

I dont know your size or body size but I wanted to caution you on this. My doctor's did the us and I was so little they really did not think it was right. I was 4 cm at 39 weeks so they talked me into an induction. I feel bad at times for giving in but I know that my hips are small and he had a really reall yrough delivery at 8lbs 4 ozs. They did not think he would be that big! So while at times I feel guilty for my induction I also realize if he was barely delivered at 39 weeks he would not have made it if he had gotten any bigger. Listen to your doctors if they really are concerned the baby could be too big for you. My son had a bad abrasion on his head from the vaccume and I was cut and torn really bad. I think with this one I would rather be induced early than go through that again or get a cs. Just something to consider.

I'm 5'8" and overweight (which was another issue with the measurement - wouldn't my belly fat make me measure larger?) with a medium frame.  My first daughter was 7lb7oz and I got her out sunny side up.  I do have narrow hips but considering I was able to push out a baby that was facing the wrong way I'm not too worried.  My doctor said yesterday that she figured this one would be 8 pounds - so how is that too big? 

Pregnancy%20ticker

jesselswick
by on Jul. 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM

4 1/2 lbs is big for 32 weeks? My daughter was born at 33 weeks and weighed 4 lbs 4 oz so i would say you are good. My son at 32 weeks was estimated to weigh about 5 1/2 lbs and then at 34w2d estimated to be about 6 lbs 2 oz. When he was born at 35 weeks he was 6 lbs 9 oz. He was indeed a big baby. I think you will be alright, I don't think that your baby is big. And you are correct, they are supposed to measure from the top of the pubic bone to the top of the uterus.

doulala
by on Jul. 30, 2010 at 1:29 AM

wow, that is really...    unusual from what I know about fundal height.

??

lol
Glad to hear you're being cautious, wise!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)