Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Procardia?!?!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi Ladies! I was put on Procardia last Wednesday because my body is having contractions and I can't feel them. I wasn't even 28 weeks yet when I was put on it. I'm not sure what it is exactly and I was wondering if anyone here has/had been on it before? I've tried to do some research on it and have found out a few things, but nothing really answered my questions. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to stay on it a certain date (which it sounds like I will), and what kind of side effects there are with it? Also if anyone has been on it, how long did it take once you were off of it to go into full labor and deliver? Thanks for any help that you can give me! It's appreciated!!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
housefullofkidz
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Sorry, I am not familiar with it.  Here is a bump for you.

cmbuell
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:51 PM
im on it have been for a week now only so im not sure what happens when you stop sorry. my midwife told me it works by lowering your blood pressure which relaxes your smooth muscles. since the uterus is a smooth muscle it stops contractions. my side effects are i constantly look sunburned and im itchy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesselswick
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:54 PM

It's a drug that relaxes the smooth muscles in the uterus. You stay on it until about 37 weeks and after that you can go really fast or you may go full term before labor kicks in, it all depends on your body. As far as the risks of taking it, there really aren't many. The side effects depends on how your body takes to it. Make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water with it.

1_Teen_Mom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM

BUMP!

1_Teen_Mom
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:56 PM

would that be considered an allergic reaction lol. my dad does that with some antibiotic that's only prescribed to u

Quoting cmbuell:

im on it have been for a week now only so im not sure what happens when you stop sorry. my midwife told me it works by lowering your blood pressure which relaxes your smooth muscles. since the uterus is a smooth muscle it stops contractions. my side effects are i constantly look sunburned and im itchy

Jordansmom810
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Procardia is helping your body keep that baby in as long as possible.. it will keep labor away unless it is true labor.. if true labor starts nothing will stop it.. I was put on it at 32 weeks after 72 hours of mag sulfate. it didn't stop my contractions but it stopped them from being affective.. It stopped me at 3cm and i was put on full bed rest in the hospital for 23 days before my body pushed through the meds.. If they let you go home they must not be that worried.. its mosly a precaution cause you can have BH or sometimes actual contractions through out your whole pregnancy without dilating...... You should get lots of rest though because stress and being tired will bring on the contractions stronger.. what did the doctors tell you? oh and most likely you will be kept on till 37 weeks and you will probably go till 40 weeks or farther specialy if its not your first kid.

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I'm sorry, I have NO idea what it is.. Have you looked at webmd.com??

mrseckstein
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Never been on it I'm sorry.

desipattycakes
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:08 AM
I've been on it for high blood pressure...but that was before I got preggers....the only side effect I had was using the bathroom more frequently
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom.Since07
by on Jul. 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM

why ddnt you talk to your dr about it? its his/her job to inform you of the drugs hes giving

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)