• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 2week old has reflux:( any advice?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:20 AM
  • 15 Replies
For the last 4 days my 2 week old has been throwing up. It's only been 1 or 2 times a day but everytime it happens it's like excorsits (sp?) type stuff out her mouth and nose. I took her to the dr today and she's lost 2 Oz since her 3 day check up. So they told me it's reflux and she'll out grow it. Any one have any experience or advice??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shellie830
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:23 AM

If she continues to do this everytime she eats maybe (if she is on formula) they will suggest her food be changed.. Niece was allergic to her formula and would do that head spinning puke all over you and wouldn't gain any weight they changed her to a soy milk and she was fine after that. This experience scared me so much I decided to BF also because DH and myself were both allergic to milk as infants too.. Good luck!

mommie-of-3
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:47 AM
I am EBF like i've done with my other 3 but i've never had this happen before. Her pedi said it's partially because she was a lil early
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdasgirl
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:48 AM

My DS had reflux but the Dr gave us Zantac for it. I swear 30 minutes after he had his first dose was like holding a different baby. He calmed down and slept like an angel. I suggest buying a wedge pillow to put under the crib mattress or bassinet pad.. whatever you're using. Being inclined will help. Also, if you're BFing try cutting things out to see if that helps.. like dairy or highly spiced food. Even if it's not spicy it can bother the baby. If you're using formula try a lactose free or soy version. When I weaned DS we went to soy milk and it helped. Good luck!!

shellie830
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Quoting mommie-of-3:

I am EBF like i've done with my other 3 but i've never had this happen before. Her pedi said it's partially because she was a lil early

Poor baby! Hopefully she'll get over it soon then oh and good for you!

CafeMom Tickers
robinalbright
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM
my dd has this. BUT she did it everytime she ate. i don't know why but gas drops seemed to help her. she is now seven months and it has gotten alot better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my3boys0710
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM
Well since ur bfing I'm not sure what to tell you except when she eats lay her down in a bouncer seat so its partially upright elevate the head of her bed and don't bounce her around as in carrying a lot at least not right aftet eating ... as a mom to a 9week early preemie with reflux so bad he had to have special formula and medicine I have quite a few things we tried
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:56 AM

is she breastfed or formula fed? If breastfeeding, cut out ALL dairy from your diet for at least 3 weeks and see if that makes a difference. If formula, she may need soy or a hypoallergenic one. Many babies are intolerant of cow's milk (not necessarily allergic). Also, keep her semi-upright for about 30 minutes after a feeding. Burp her gently, try rubbing her back instead and see if that will get her to burp. Burp every few minutes while feeding. Also, going to the chiropractor helped both my kids immensely. They have a special technique for babies and have a lot of success with treating reflux, ear aches, colic, torticolis, etc.

eta: I see you are BFing. Do you have overactive letdown or oversupply? Both can cause reflux type problems unrelated to the cow's milk issue.

palemoon21
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM

If you are BF-ing.....could it be something you are eating that she may be allergic to?

ashlynsmom14
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:59 AM

They told me DD had that at 5 weeks. EVERY time she ate it was like the exorcist projectile vomit! I took her to the ER 3 times and her Doc twice before they realized that it wasn't that. What she had was Pyloric Stenosis. They said they didn't check for it or even think it was that because she was a girl and it is more common in boys. She had to have surgery. And it a thriving 3 1/2 year old now, but dehydration is very very common with PS, so if it does get worse make sure you atleast give her something to keep her hydrated until you get to the Doc. DD lost over a lb. in a weeks span because they kept telling me it was refulx and the flu and to give it a couple days. I am not saying that that is what it is but if it keeps up or continues to get worse tell her Doc that you want an ultrasound to check for it.  

rebel_mommy09
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:23 AM

You need to have it confirmed. They can do a sono and confirm that indeed she has reflux. If she does then they may put her on Zantac (liquid) or another anti-acid to help with the pain and throwing up. Ds had it for almost 4 months so if you ever need to talk you can PM me. The only things that helped my son before we had it confirmed was being in his bouncer, swing, being cradled and rocked as well as the colic hold. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)