Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

low lying placenta?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM
  • 18 Replies
I was told I have a low lying placenta after my u/s last week. According to my last period I am 17 weeks... But according to the u/s I am between 13 and 14 weeks. Anyone been diagnosed with this? I just wanna hear someone elses experience with this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcclellanlass
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM
Never heard of low laying? Don't worry I'd say. I have a severe tilted back uterous and still in T3 its tilted back. Also my son attached low on my left side, is that a low laying uterous? Attachment placement?

I measure 2 weeks behind what I really am and doc realized that. I'd say do some of your own research and maybe call a few different docs. That's what I did. I'm doing great at 34 weeks and can't wait for my little man to get here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Not me,  but your chances of it moving up are very good!

:-)

Good luck!

sweetpeas4
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM

BUMP!

kemmerer411
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:59 PM
Thanks... I googled it once... then didn't do it anymore. I don't want to read about maternal and fetal death and then get myself all worried for nothing. Ya know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ballababy177
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Yes. I had one. Its actually called Placenta Previa. Where the placenta is low n covers the cervix. Urs might not be so low that it covers the cervix though. IDK. Its really not a big deal. The only reason I knew I had it was because I lost over a pint of blood (it looked like someone was murdered in my bathroom) and when they checked to see if there was ne baby left, they saw my placenta was low and it was covering my cervix. They said its common, not to stress, no sex, n baby was fine.  I also had problems w/ measuring ahead n behind n ahead again. I think it really depends on the person who's doing the ultrasound and baby's can go through growth spurts : )

Ne way.. My son is now 8 days old and is doing fine. So I wouldn't worry : )

kemmerer411
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM
I don't have placenta previa I actually have like "one stage" above that. My placentas not touching my cervix. Apparently there are dif levels of this condition. But I was told the placenta could move either way up or down. So that's what concerns me. Did you have to have a c sec?

Quoting Ballababy177:

Yes. I had one. Its actually called Placenta Previa. Where the placenta is low n covers the cervix. Urs might not be so low that it covers the cervix though. IDK. Its really not a big deal. The only reason I knew I had it was because I lost over a pint of blood (it looked like someone was murdered in my bathroom) and when they checked to see if there was ne baby left, they saw my placenta was low and it was covering my cervix. They said its common, not to stress, no sex, n baby was fine.  I also had problems w/ measuring ahead n behind n ahead again. I think it really depends on the person who's doing the ultrasound and baby's can go through growth spurts : )

Ne way.. My son is now 8 days old and is doing fine. So I wouldn't worry : )

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:15 PM

"Typically at 16 weeks the placenta takes up 25-50% of the surface area. Also the third trimester brings a growth of this lower uterine segment, that out flanks the growth of the placenta. For these reasons, while 5% of pregnancies are diagnosed with complete previa in second trimester ultrasounds will see 90% of them resolved by term and while 45% of pregnancies are diagnosed with marginal previas will see 95% resolved at term. A follow up ultrasound will be done, and as noted above the vast majority of previas are not seen. "

Good news, good luck!

Fetters4
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I was diagnosed with it around 9 weeks along when I had a huge blood clot come out and I bleed bright red for a few minutes from the clot. I am now 27 weeks and mine is partical and I am fine. I was on pelvic rest for a while but if you are not having any complications you might not have any restrictions. The placenta usually moves up and no worries. I am having a c-section so mine was nothing to really worry about other than the bleeding.

sissychristi
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM

It's not a biggie. I'm not even sure why doctors make a stink about it. It just means that your placenta is lower in your uterus than average. It is not considered placenta previa and there are really no risks with it.

I had a low-lying, anterior placenta and the only thing about it was that I didn't feel as many kicks through the placenta.

Also, this is very early in your pregnancy and placentas do move. It is very likely that your placenta will move up higher the further along you get.

kemmerer411
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM
Thanks! I do NOT want a c sec!

Quoting doulala:

"Typically at 16 weeks the placenta takes up 25-50% of the surface area. Also the third trimester brings a growth of this lower uterine segment, that out flanks the growth of the placenta. For these reasons, while 5% of pregnancies are diagnosed with complete previa in second trimester ultrasounds will see 90% of them resolved by term and while 45% of pregnancies are diagnosed with marginal previas will see 95% resolved at term. A follow up ultrasound will be done, and as noted above the vast majority of previas are not seen. "

Good news, good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)