Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby shower ettiquite

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM
  • 15 Replies

what to do what to do........

My friend is throwing my baby shower.  We sent out evites  to 30 some odd people.  Well everyone is replying that they are bringing husbands and kids.  we didn't explicitly say on the evite girls only, but that's assumed..right?  I haven't brought my boys to anyones shower........

so how do you go back and tell everyone.  And it's my family and friends and so I should do it, but I feel awkward doing it.  I don't want DH to feel like he has to host husbands and kids here.  

Anyways any advice on how to handle this.  A nice way to tell people?

Then venue is at a restaurant, and she has already put in a lot of expense renting out the room and paying for food.  I would hate to add extras......

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Gender PredictionGet your own gender prediction!
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soon2bemama2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM
I'd just call everyone and let them know it's ladies only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrspreggers14
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Id just be honest with everyone...  say something like "the shower is only going to be for the ladies, sorry"  "Or its a ladies night out"..  Soemthing like that.. 

sissychristi
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Politely call and say that the invites do not include hubbies and kiddos.

If I were to get an invite that didn't specify, I would assume that it was for me only unless it was addressed to the whole family.

maybebaby83
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Quoting sissychristi:

Politely call and say that the invites do not include hubbies and kiddos.

If I were to get an invite that didn't specify, I would assume that it was for me only unless it was addressed to the whole family.

me too!! and when i threw my sisters it was so frustrating how many people brought people with them!! it was crazy... they would even RSVP that THEY would be there (they being just them!) and then show up with other people.. who does that?? we prepare the party for how many people RSVPed and then you bring kids and husbands? Drives me nuts!

aphrodite7400
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM

are people traveling from a far distance??  if they are, then i would assume families would be invted but if everyone is from the same area/town, than that is ridiculous!! LOL   GL hon.  oh wait i just had an idea.  your hub can entertain the hubs and kids somewhere else while you are at your shower.  my friends husband did that with the hubs who came to her shower....

pregbug
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:51 PM

wow. how in the world did people assume that kids and husbands can go? thats weird. my people asked me and it was only about  kids coming. heres my advice about what to do,: my shower was at a restaraunt also and my husband hung out inside the place with a few other husbands seperate from the shower. they had drinks and ate and we were outside on the patio having the shower. it worked out nicely. you are gonna have to say something, when things are paid for like that people cant expect to just bring whoever, and for baby showers you shouldnt have to specify that its girls only. good luck to you

Lullababy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I think showers are for women only unless otherwise stated.

Tay-Brittnie
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:01 AM

Send a second email explaining the situation.  They should understand.  :)  Good luck and have a fun baby shower!

mamigee98
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM

send out another evite updated with " women only shower " and " please no children ". I would totally understand since it's at a restaurant and your friend is paying for it. I have always assumed that baby shower were for women and kids unless it's specified as a "co-ed" shower or "couples" showers. ALL the showers I've been to have had kids there too.

weberbaby
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:19 AM
Yah its so easy to make a change on the Evite and let everyone know. I love that site. You make a change and the email the update to them.

Quoting mamigee98:

send out another evite updated with " women only shower " and " please no children ". I would totally understand since it's at a restaurant and your friend is paying for it. I have always assumed that baby shower were for women and kids unless it's specified as a "co-ed" shower or "couples" showers. ALL the showers I've been to have had kids there too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)